INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: MJ freezes  (Read 2295 times)

mikebarney

• Recent member
Help: MJ freezes
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:59:53 am »

I have Media Jukebox (latest .49 version, but the problem happened with previous versions) installed on a Dell XPS M140 laptop running XP with latest updates.  Works great, but completely locks up if I hit the Pause button and also when it reaches the end of a playlist.  I have to kill MJ in Task Manager and restart MJ.  I also have MJ installed on my desktop running Vista with no issues, but the laptop is my music server.  Any suggestions? 
Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help: MJ freezes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:29 am »

Take a look at what other software is running on the machine.  Something is getting in the way.

The "Weird Problems" thread in my signature might also give you some ideas.

mikebarney

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:33:59 am »

Jim-
Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked over your Weird Problems thread, and saw nothing specific thats on my PC.  I noticed a lot of anti-virus issues, so I uninstalled mine (AVG), no change.  I then deleted a number of programs I no longer use from the PC, no change.  I then tried stopping services in Task Manager, restarting MJ after each one.  No change.  Lastly, in MSConfig, I started Windows in Diagnostic Startup mode (only loads basic drivers and services), still no joy!  I'm at a bit of a loss what to try next - I believe Windows is now running with no other apps except MJ and I'm still getting the same freezing up problem. 
Any suggestions for a next diagnostic step?
Thanks,
Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:31:38 am »

In MJ settings, turn off auto-import.  Turn off cover art lookup.  On a slow machine, thumbnails might really bog it down.

mikebarney

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:18:22 am »

Jim-
Thanks, but still no change.  I haven'y really been having speed/performance issues, so I wasn't optimistic on these last suggestions.
Much as I like the user interface of MJ, I've gone back to using Foobar as it works fine on this machine, and the constant locking up is driving me crazy.
Mike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:21:27 am »

Try switching between Waveout, DirectSound, etc. in Options > Playback

I think one of them will work fine.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mikebarney

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

Matt-
That was very helpful.  All output modes work fine EXCEPT ASIO (I'm using ASIO4ALL).  I need to bypass XP's Kmixer, so I'll have to research other ASIO alternatives, or maybe play with my ASIO4ALL settings.
Thanks,
Mike

mikebarney

• Recent member
Re: Help: MJ freezes - SOLVED!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:51:26 pm »

RESOLVED.
This problem was caused by an older version of ASIO4ALL, and simply installing the latest version (version 2.9) solved it completely. 
That was easy, once Matt aimed me in the right direction, Thanks!
Mike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 01:56:09 pm »

As an aside, Media Center 13 adds WASAPI support under Vista for another nice way to bypass the system mixer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up