INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Radio -- good article  (Read 744 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Web Radio -- good article
« on: July 22, 2002, 07:18:51 am »

This article summarizes the state of web radio well.  At 7/100 of a cent per track, that makes the cost to a web radio station about 1.4 cents an hour per listener.  If anyone out there thinks the old Music01 service would be worth 5 cents (US) an hour for streaming only, we'll think about starting it up.

Jim

--------------------
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=711&ncid=738&e=8&u=/usatoday/20020722/tc_usatoday/4294839

" The Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel first set a rate of 14-hundredths of a cent per song, per listener. When Webcasters balked, asking instead to be allowed to pay a percentage of their revenues, the rate was halved."

"That's still too much for many of them. More than 200 stations have closed, and more are expected to follow. Because the rate is retroactive to 1998, huge checks are due Oct. 20."
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Harry The Hipster

RE:Web Radio -- good article
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 08:06:18 am »

Well, another sad story from the Internet frontiers. We can begin to understand how the Frankish princes felt when they saw the tides of Visigoths swarming over the landscape.

I can in my more objective moments see both sides of the p2p dialogue, but try as hard as I can, I do not understand how (1) the RIAA comes to command a separate royalty for webcasting; and (2) what the people in the Copyright Office were (or weren't) thinking when they set a royalty rate that was based on the deal structure that Yahoo negotiated dogs years ago.

Take a look at Mark Cuban's quote - they were deliberately creating a template (user-based fees, not volume-based) that would work to the disadvantage of smaller webcasters. I'm open to any creative mind that can weave a web of logic to support this result, but let's say the burden of proof rests with him or her.

If you want to follow what's happening from the perspective of a most sophisticated observer, go to http://kurthanson.com/

I'm not going to name any names to avoid embarrassing him, but someone who spent many years in the Senate says that the DMCA is possibly the single worst piece of special interest legislation imposed on us since deregulation of the S&Ls in the early 1980s.

If you want someone to vent on, your local Senator or Congressperson is the appropriate target. Good luck on getting anything more than a form response, however.

HTH

Listening to: 'Stolen Sweets' from 'As Long As There's Music' by 'Richard Wyands' on Media Jukebox

zevele1

RE:Web Radio -- good article
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 09:32:00 am »

OK
Will not start again ,but
What is the use of it?
Here in Tel-Aviv i stream for hours without a 're-buffering'mp3.com who is in California.
So ,as i said before,only USA would be a place without Net-Radio.
And a lot in Canada,Mexique and small islands in the Caraibes.

Now,if Yahoo! make a deal with France,all he needs is to put is music service on Yahoo!fr.And few hundred american people out of job.

You are taking the road to be one third world internet country

And,again,very sorry to say so.But americans look better at speaking about democratie ,liberty on forums that to act or react in real life

Do not understand why you want to bomb Sadam when your worst enemy in in your walls

Tell your friends at RIAA that i bought they protected cd "O Brother Where  Thout"
Well at $10 for 3 cds,i'am not sure it is the original protected cd..............
If Metallica live near you,tell them i got one DVD from them ,$20 for 3 DVD,not bad
All of it this afternoon.And it is the first time that i buy pirate records,but they deserse it,as they deserve the fact that in less than one hour i will put it to share.On APE,not on mp3....
Pages: [1]   Go Up