INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about Theater View (for use in 'jukebox' mode)  (Read 1316 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Questions about Theater View (for use in 'jukebox' mode)
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:02:12 pm »

Hi again, a couple quick questions pertaining to using MC13's theater mode in a 'jukebox' environment. (so we're perfectly clear, this post has nothing to do with the Media Jukebox software). By 'jukebox' environment, this means using MC13 in Theater Mode at a small party, where multiple people will be adding songs to the playlist list using the much-appreciated 'shuffle remaining' option, mimicking the functionality of a barroom jukebox. The goal in the case is to make the system as simple and user friendly as possible.

1. Left-clicking on a song brings up the menu options.

The current play option [Add (shuffle remaining) in my case],
Play All
More Play Options
Select
Tag
Cancel

This menu is rather large, and can be pretty confusing for the uninitiated, especially if they're at a party and are dru.. um, well lubricated.

Can the left-click option on a song be altered in any way? Ideally I'd like it to just choose the current play option, but even being able to remove some of the menu options would be a great help.

2. Using the Shuffle Remaining option, is there any sort of weighting system to ensure that songs get played in a reasonable amount of time after they are first added to the playlist? My tests seem to indicate that there isn't, but I wanted to see if that was the case, and if it was a feature that ever discussed. Right now I have users whose selected songs keep getting pushed endlessly down the playlist as more songs are added, which encourages them to mess with the default play options, exit theater mode, etc.

Any advice you have which would improve my 'jukebox' experience would be much appreciated.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Questions about Theater View (for use in 'jukebox' mode)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:28:14 pm »

I don't think the menus in Theater View can be altered at all...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:18:15 pm »

Please try the latest build of MC13 and the Obsidian skin.  Navigation is completely changed.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:58:56 am »

I've thought about this sort of thing myself - aA setup that would allow people to add songs without screwing up other people's songs. . If there were a way to limit the menu choices, in a Party mode, that could do it. For example only allow the Add button to be used (or whatever you configure) unless a password is entered. This would put ensure that all new songs go to the bottom of the list. And prevents them from adding an entire album or artist.

What I do now, before the party starts, is start a playlist, then browse to Add and add another song. This then makes Add the first option when a song is selected. . Users simply highlight a song, and press select twice and it's added. But of course sometimes they mess it up

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »

What I do now, before the party starts, is start a playlist, then browse to Add and add another song. This then makes Add the first option when a song is selected. . Users simply highlight a song, and press select twice and it's added. But of course sometimes they mess it up

I do this too but inevitably someone screws it up by hitting play on something with the remote which wipes the playlist.

An extension to the "party-mode" fetaure (like you've described) with OnScreen Keyboard PIN protection might work well. I'd like it to restrict PLAY and PLAY ALL to Playing Now ONLY. Pressing PLAY outside of Playing Now would have no effect. The context menu in all other views should just contain all the ADD options - with all other options greyed out. Yeah... I think this would work quite well  ;)

[EDIT] Perhaps restricting ADD in this mode to just Audio would make scense too. Switching to another zone would allow you to play photos etc - without screwing up the music!
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:01:01 pm »

Or you could fork out *cough* US$160.00 for MainLobby and MusicLobby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up