INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVB-C support ?  (Read 4108 times)

lippe007

• Recent member
DVB-C support ?
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:08:04 am »

Hello there,
Is there any chance that FireDTV tuner (DVB-Cable) will be supported in future ?
In MC 12 the software just hangs, in MC 13 beta, it crashes when digital channel search is selected
Could it help if I added the list of frequencies and modulation settings for the region ?

Frank

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: DVB-C support ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:43:42 am »

DVB-C (and DVB-S) support has been on my list for a while. Unfortunately it is still just that - on the list. I do not know when it will happen. My hope is still to make it happen in MC13.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

lippe007

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:09:38 pm »

As I do think that DVB-C is not that different from DVB-T, there might be a work around with frequency /modulation settings
The Fire DTV tuner I have, is BDA compliant.
I don't mind to spent some time to it to get it to work.
Do you have any hints ?

Frank

djpogoff

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:18:57 pm »

It's unclear to me why DVB-C is not "supported".  Isn't the "support" the job of the device's driver?  In other words, after a DVB-T driver (with its device) and a DVB-C driver (with its device) provide their data to an application, shouldn't the drivers be presenting the same kind of data?

I'm surprised for another reason.  Don't most digital TV viewers get their digital signal from cable rather than over the air?

On another, although related, topic: in another section, the list of officially supported TV adaptors is over 21/2 years old.  Has anything changed?

Thanks,

David

lippe007

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:34:26 am »

Anyone knows WHY DVB-C is not supported?

Is it  a matter of frequency/modulation tables or do we need other software?

Frank

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:01:32 am »

It's unclear to me why DVB-C is not "supported".  Isn't the "support" the job of the device's driver?  In other words, after a DVB-T driver (with its device) and a DVB-C driver (with its device) provide their data to an application, shouldn't the drivers be presenting the same kind of data?

The "job of supporting DVB-C" is mine.  I will have to do some code addition/change.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

djpogoff

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:18:14 am »

Yaobing,

I do understand that you must do some coding in order for MC to support DVB-C (and DVB-S?).  In my previous post, I was inquiring, in an academic sense, about why the device drivers cannot accomplish the required "support".  I elaborated a bit by pointing out that the purpose of a device driver is to provide a means of communication between the device and the operating system after handling those features and characteristics that are specific to that device.  Therefore, my question was: why can't the differences amongst DVB hardware be obviated by their respective drivers?

Thanks,

David

lippe007

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:47:37 am »

From what I've seen in other implemntations (Sceneo TVC, Media Portal) you could conclude its just a matter of data tables. Apparently they made a generic driver that can support DVB (T,C,S).

Frank

lippe007

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:01:03 pm »

posted solution for DVB-C (FireDTV tuner driver makes DVB-C look like DVB-T using the MCE drivers). MC wiil do the channel search now without crashes and find all channels available.

But the streams do not stream yet. I thought it might be a codec issue, but more and more I believe this to be a problem with encryption (CAM).

Are there similar problems with DVB-T that may have similar solutions?

Frank

lippe007

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 04:07:19 pm »

MC14 does not support encryption, so it will only work for free channels.
Only a few channels are free in the area where I live, so JMRC can not be used for live TV
Sad enough. :(

Frank

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 08:25:03 am »

Hi

I'm in Norway and I'm currently using Windows 7 Media Center. I was reviewing MC 14 mainly due to it's audiphile features.

I think it looks like a great product. It has a lot of nice features that I'm interested in, the Theater View seems nice to use and the audiophile features of the product looks great.

However, I have a FloppyDTV-C card that is working wonderful with Windows 7 Media Center. The lack of DVB-C support causes JRiver MC to be useless for me, somthing I think is quite sad.

Just wanted to mention this, as for me personally (and probably for many others from europe) this missing feature cases me to not be able to use JRiver MC.
The reason for writing this is to hopfully influence the priority of adding DVB-C support.

-Regards TEK

lippe007

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 09:37:10 am »

Hi,
Thank you for your support.
I hope the support will get priority in MC 15.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up