INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glissando 0.2a released: cover art display  (Read 1579 times)

zigguratt

• World Citizen
Glissando 0.2a released: cover art display
« on: July 21, 2002, 04:41:47 pm »

Glissando is a remote front-end for Media Jukebox. It talks XML over a network with a drastically modified Web Remote plugin to display track information, playlists, cover art, etc. and allows real-time control over transport, playback position, volume and such. It was created in Macromedia's Flash authoring environment which uses vector-based graphics and has a complete scripting language built in. The same interface can (and will) be rearranged to work on smaller wireless devices such as a PocketPC of some sort. Imagine sitting on your couch and having a web pad with Glissando controlling Media Jukebox on your HTPC, letting you create playlists or skip tracks, for example, and giving you very complete information about the current track, including lyrics. Or imagine running Glissando on the HTPC itself, it being fully controlled by a remote and Girder. Not all of this is reality at the moment, but it's all in the works.

Release 0.2a finally includes album cover art retrieval and display. With this release Glissando can be used full-time to play back media using Media Jukebox, displaying all information properly (except for accented characters).

There are still issues to be dealt with, most significantly addressing the crashing of Media Jukebox when Glissando requests a very large playlist. I've tried this on a couple of machines here: one crashes MJ, the other does not.  As a test I requested my entire MP3 collection  - 5577 files. On the non-crashing machine the whole list was retrieved. Of course, the Flash player had a bit of trouble swallowing that much data: it grabbed over 100 megabytes of memory and still couldn't display all of the song titles. But it worked.

I would appreciate others trying this out and letting me know the results so we can narrow down why this is happening. Also, let me know how this release works for you.

You can download 0.2a here.

Thanks!
The latest version of Glissando can be had here.

MIchael

RE:Glissando 0.2a released: cover art display
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 04:23:34 am »

I have the first version working very well with my progear and desktop and I don't want to mess things up.Can you tell me the best way to upgrade to 0.2a.Do I delete version one and start over?Where do I install 02.a? on the progear on the destop or both.Any help would be much appreciated.
                                       Thank You
                                       Michael

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 04:30:11 am »

When you download 0.2a you'll see a note in the install.txt that looks a little like this:

"Please not that for every version of Glissando released you need to completely replace the Glissando install and follow all instructions below.  Nothing is stored outside the Glissando directory so there should be no problems."

In other words, you can delete the previous version's directory and unzip the new version. The only thing you might want to save is the blank.jpg file, but only if you've replaced it with your own image. Just remember to go in and edit the glissando.txt to point at the machine on which Media Jukebox is running. If you have any questions you can post them here, on AVS, join my mailing list, or email me directly: daniel @ syrinx.net.

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 04:34:29 am »

Another quick note to all using 0.2a: the images loaded by Glissando MUST be JPEG images. This is a limitation of the Flash player, not Glissando itself.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 06:33:17 am »

ziggurat,
Got it working and looks good.  Thanks.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

BigMike

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 07:43:07 am »

Can you please explain to me what the Glassando application is for, and what it does. I am trying to understand its purpose.

JimH

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 08:01:00 am »

It's a front-end GUI for MJ.  It requires the web remote plugin also.  There is a better description in the download, but here's a picture:

Jim Hillegass

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 08:26:36 am »

There's also a fairly lucid description (IMHO:) in the first message of this thread.

Whoa, it's strange seeing someone else's playlists, etc. in Glissando! To this point I've only ever seen my own collection. I see you've figured out how to stop it from being full-screen, Jim. I think this should be a Glissando preference in the future.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2002, 08:31:08 am »

Thats A Picture Of Me, By The Way.

At Least I Feel That Big Sometimes.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2002, 08:37:52 am »

shark!!
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2002, 09:00:08 am »

You Mean Chum
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up