INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing names  (Read 1742 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Changing names
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:40 pm »

Help i have been trying to work this out for hours.

I have a folder with 20 files named the west wing s1 e1 and so on.

I wish to rename the and remove the but keeping them in sequence e1 e2 e3 etc. Is this possible.

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Changing names
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:39 am »

Select all the files, and in-place edit name to:
=Mid([Name], 4, -1)

This means take everything from the fourth character on.

Use undo / redo if you make a mistake.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:51 pm »

in this case if you're just removing 'the' and are happy with the rest of the filename, then you can you can select the files, then right click and choose Library Tools / Find & Replace... 

A Find & Replace window will open - on the left choose "Filename (name)" and in the "Find What" field enter "the west wing"; in the "Replace:" field enter "west wing"

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:51 pm »

in this case if you're just removing 'the' and are happy with the rest of the filename, then you can you can select the files, then right click and choose Library Tools / Find & Replace... 

A Find & Replace window will open - on the left choose "Filename (name)" and in the "Find What" field enter "the west wing"; in the "Replace:" field enter "west wing"

You just made me look like a nerd ;D
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:00:11 pm »

Matt explains nicely how the Mid operator can be used for in-place editing a field value.

I don't know if this is going to look like a nerdy reply, but here is an example of another approach. I am using the library tools for getting/saving info from/to the filename. Also the Mid operator can be used in naming rules when applicable.

1. Fill some library fields from the filename. [] = empty brackets can be used for ignoring some parts completely.

2. The resulting field values:

3. Rename the file by using the new library field values. The rule is set to fix case and pad the season and episode numbers with a zero:
FixCase([Name], 1) FixCase([Album], 1) - SPadNumber([Season], 2)EPadNumber([Episode], 2)

4. Fix the Album field:

5. Fix the Name field:

6. The end result:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »

that would make a killer wiki entry.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:01:42 pm »

Here's an additional screenshot. It might not be obvious that you can right-click the rule box in the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" window for seeing various tools, options and helpful tooltips.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

maid

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:15:29 am »

Hello Guys,
I have done all my name changing one by one as I found following this instruction difficult and I made a mess.

I now want to try renaming my Photos how can I do this easily.

At the moment they display the tag which is not what I want I have got all the names I want in the folder on the hard drive but they still display wrong.

How can I name them all at once using part of the filename???

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV
Pages: [1]   Go Up