INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can nested fields be copied to other fields via expressions?  (Read 1023 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can nested fields be copied to other fields via expressions?
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:52:48 am »

I use a designated "tagging" view scheme with multiple panes, but I can reduce those panes and simplify tagging by using nested fields.  To that end, I will be investing alot of time creating a custom field to nest my Genre and Subgenre fields.

However, I have those two fields set to save in the file when possible, and I want to keep it that way.  My guess is that my custom (nested) field will not be able to save the info to the tag, and even if it can, it will not be saving it to the Genre and Subgenre fields, where I want them saved.

So, my question is this: when I use my custom nested field instead of the real Genre and Subgenre fields to tag files,  is it possible for me to include an expression somewhere that will automatically also populate the real Genre and Subgenre fields with the information I have input into the custom field?

Example:

"Song Title" has Blues as genre, and both Contemporary Blues and Modern Electric Blues as two subgenres:

Custom Nested Field being tagged:
  Blues
     Contemporary Blues
     Modern Electric Blues

I want Blues to automatically be included in the real Genre field and Contemporary Blues and Modern Electric Blues to also be included in my Subgenre field without my having to manually enter them there.

Is this possible? 
(I haven't installed v13 yet, so if the answer is yes but it requires v13, please let me know).
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up