INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedicated HTPCs - a few ideas  (Read 1264 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Dedicated HTPCs - a few ideas
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:07:03 pm »

For people using the MC theater view in dedicated HTPC environments, I would like to offer some suggestions that I feel are important to the evolution in the theater view abilities.  Everyone seems focused on theater view right now so why not consider these before it loses focus?

1. It is important to remember that in many cases, my HTPCs have very limited access to a mouse or keyboard.  I can always remotely login (LogMeIn) but that is a huge pain...go bootup my other computer, logon, web site, login, connect, password, connect, ...
2. A settings option should probably be added.  In a dedicated HTPC, you would want to be able to alter as much as possible from the ever important directional remote pad.
3. Theater view transparent upgrade ability.  Frequently check for a new version of MC.  I am referring to the newly posted version at the top of the MC13 forum category.  Either under settings or somewhere somewhat visible an option could popup "Update to 13.0.104" - you can even have an I Agree item in theater view.
4. Even more preferred would be a fully automatic update that would check, install, and relaunch MC automatically in the middle of the night.  As much as I love seeing new MC versions, I don't like having to update my desktop and the several HTPCs around the house--only a couple I actually take the time to update.  Updating them all is a major production.
5. Show playing now item & weather on theater view home.
6. Show clock and date on every theater view page.  I can't tell you how much I liked seeing the clock there.  Home page isn't quite enough.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Dedicated HTPCs - a few ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:40:21 pm »

I agree with number 6. I'd go as far as to say that a clock option on the OSD in Display view would be nice. It's great having the elapsed time available in display view OSD when playing a movie, but it would be wonderful to have the current time of day as one of the things that can be displayed on the OSD too, perhaps at the same time that elapsed time is shown.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:37:32 pm »

And why not current weather conditions on the OSD?  I'm telling you, the one critical extension I always install with Firefox is Forecastfox Enhanced.  It's so nice having little popups.  Oh yes, and popup something during the movie if there is a severe weather warning.  Stop the movie and don't let anything play until the warning ceases.  lol

The chapter indicator is wrong in many cases.  And if I hit previous chapter, it should be able to go to the currently playing chapter -- start of it.  If I'm watching chapter 1, the only way to start it over is to rewind it (poor method).  I should be able to hit previous chapter and have it start the chapter over, don't ya think?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:07:30 pm »

And why not current weather conditions on the OSD?  I'm telling you, the one critical extension I always install with Firefox is Forecastfox Enhanced.  It's so nice having little popups.  Oh yes, and popup something during the movie if there is a severe weather warning.  Stop the movie and don't let anything play until the warning ceases.  lol

Hey, you made your wishes known, I made mine known. I don't think it's considered hijacking a thread if I agree with a part of your post. The other stuff doesn't affect me.

The chapter indicator is wrong in many cases.  And if I hit previous chapter, it should be able to go to the currently playing chapter -- start of it.  If I'm watching chapter 1, the only way to start it over is to rewind it (poor method).  I should be able to hit previous chapter and have it start the chapter over, don't ya think?

That would be nice behaviour, but I've never noticed it myself. Isn't there a setting in options that controls how the next/previous buttons work? Or is that for audio only?

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:00:09 am »

One thing I've noticed about Interact is that people don't freak out if you don't have good forum behavior.  It's small enough and a reasonably tight group.  Many common people show up time after time.  But I've been to other forums where my first post inevitably creates backlash and anger.  We're in competition to capture JRiver's attention for feature additions so you gotta go crazy sometimes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up