INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still no way of adding data under video in Theater View?  (Read 2930 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Still no way of adding data under video in Theater View?
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:35:01 pm »

I've been looking and looking for a way to add my image files of DVD's to Theater View Video schemes. I thought that I would be able to do this through nesting, but I can't find a way around this imitation. Any help would be appreciated.

There is a question I have never seen any answers to. So here it goes:
Why is it a problem to allow people to add data files under video anyway (and video clips under images for that sake)? It's possible under standard view. At least data under video. Why do you differenciate between the two view types, and why do you not allow this sort of "advanced" mixing of content? I can't possibly see any problems with this, as all options indicates that it can work anyway. Would be less problematic for all users if it was allowed.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Still no way of adding data under video in Theater View?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:15:50 pm »

I have music video clips (.flv, .mpg & .avi) listed as music in both my standard view and Theater View.

I simply changed the Data Type Tag to the appropriate value...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 07:39:12 pm »

MrH,
I understand the pain as all my ISOs would not be grouped where I want it but I now thing the solution in MC13 is actually pretty good for mounting ISOs etc.

Here is how I do it.  http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DVD_Library_in_Media_Center#ISO_file_in_MC13

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 06:17:31 am »

Thanks for the link jmone, but unfortunately this don't solve my main problem. I have tried the tactic before, but I was far from satisfied.

I know all about changing media type. The problem is that I don't want to do this every time I get a new image file! This can be as much as 3-5 times a week. I have to jump to standard view, find my mouse, plug it in, wait, find the files, hit the tag action, find the media type and set is at video. So I asked my self: "Why do this when you want to watch a new movie?" Instead I use an explorer shortcut and start the file from there. A LOT faster! Seems idiotic when you have such a powerfull MC don't it?
This was not necessary in MC12; and why it have been restricted really goes beyond me. People who only use a HTPC for theire MC13, and just have a remote with no mouse functions (and people with a mouse to!), do have a problem here. This could all be done automatic before. If you renamed the files before they were imported it was all ready to go. To set each file imported, to another media type, hardly seems more logical than to set a one-time-rule to add other types in a view.

WHY have this ben changed? And WHY is it so dangerous to allow people to show different file types under each View or View Scheme? I can see good reasons why people would combine audio, video, images and data in all directions. Can someone from J River please explain this change/restriction? If there is a good reason I'll stop complaining, but the best reason I have heard so far is that "you will never support it because it's not logical". But for many of us it IS. And I can garantee the it will confuse less people if we can do this, than if we can't.

I either have to stop watching DVD's or to hold on to my MC12 for a long time. With all the new cool functions in MC13, the last option would be really depressing.

)p(

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:10:02 am »

There is a question I have never seen any answers to. So here it goes:
Why is it a problem to allow people to add data files under video anyway (and video clips under images for that sake)? It's possible under standard view. At least data under video. Why do you differenciate between the two view types, and why do you not allow this sort of "advanced" mixing of content? I can't possibly see any problems with this, as all options indicates that it can work anyway. Would be less problematic for all users if it was allowed.

I agree. I raised this issue a few days ago for essentially the same issue but then in allowing to have video files under images. I still have a bit of hope they will come around and will allow it...hint hint...as a great new year gift...yes?  ;)

peter

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:56:46 am »

Could we please have an answer? I've been hoping for an answer for a long time now, and have a hard time parting with MC12 because of this.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:53:34 am »

Would it help if ISO files were assumed to be video instead of data?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

)p(

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:40:29 pm »

Not in mine example of this issue!

peter

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 01:17:04 pm »

It would help in my case, but image files can be used for virtually anything, so I don't belive it would be the correct solution. The correct thing would be to allow users to mix content as they want. It would allow super flexibility for mixed content, without the need of changing the original and "right" Media Type tags. And the possibility of new users getting confused is minimal in such advanced view creation.
But there might be problems that I don't see here... As I have said, I would very much appreciate an explaination of why it's out of the question.

A solution that might satisfy most users would be to set a library field, of the imported file, to a spesific value as the file is imported. An "import as" option under advanced import settings would do it.

A MUCH better option would be to allow users to set expressions for each import task. If there was an expression field under import, we could use "IF [Media Type] = img or iso or nrg, Set [Media Type] = Video"  or something similar. This would be incredibly powerfull for a lot of automatic tagging tasks. It would also solve the problems others have when they have to tag video clips as images, to be able to view all related images and videos.

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

None who thinks that an expression field under import task would be handy??

Don't get me wrong; I would rather have mixed content in Theater View, but I think expression field under import would provide a lot of usefull functionality, and act as a middle ground solution.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 05:51:02 pm »

I must admit, I was a bit surprised to find my movie poster images no longer show up in my Theater View video view schemes. I used to use these to show "offline" movies. It works fine in Standard View.

I would rather have mixed content in Theater View

Me too. I don't see why it should be any different to Standard View.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

)p(

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 07:11:13 am »

Please can we get an answer if we will be allowed to mix media types in theaterview anytime soon or not. If not that is ok. I can then start looking for alternatives for jrmc's theaterview for our htpc.

thanks,

peter

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:39 pm »

Could we please have a response? At least a followup on this one:

I can't think of a good reason why we can't find a solution to this problem, that leaves both J River and the users happy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 05:44:10 pm »

We understand the problem.  We just haven't had time to look at it, and won't have for a few weeks.

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:36:31 am »

That I understand. I'll give it a nudge in a few weeks then.
Thanks for the feedback.

)p(

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 02:05:48 am »

We understand the problem.  We just haven't had time to look at it, and won't have for a few weeks.

Thanks Jim. I'll stay with mc12 for now which still works great for us. And hope you have good news for us inj a month or so ;)

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up