INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can i convert video files?  (Read 897 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
can i convert video files?
« on: January 17, 2009, 07:32:58 am »

i was just curious if i can use mc13 to convert video files (in this case, a .3g2 taken on a cell phone) to a more common type, such as avi or mpg?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: can i convert video files?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:39:11 am »

i was just curious if i can use mc13 to convert video files (in this case, a .3g2 taken on a cell phone) to a more common type, such as avi or mpg?
Try renaming it to 3gp or mpg or mp4.  Here's what Wikipedia says:
3GP is a simplified version of the MPEG-4 Part 14 (MP4) container format, designed to decrease storage and bandwidth requirements in order to accommodate mobile phones. It stores video streams as MPEG-4 Part 2 or H.263 or MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264), and audio streams as AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AMR-WB+, AAC-LC or HE-AAC. A 3GP file is always big-endian, storing and transferring the most significant bytes first. It also contains descriptions of image sizes and bitrate. There are two different standards for this format:

3GPP (for GSM-based Phones, may have filename extension .3gp)
3GPP2 (for CDMA-based Phones, may have filename extension .3g2)
Both are based on MPEG-4 and H.263 video, and AAC or AMR audio.

When transferred to a computer, 3GP movies can be viewed on Linux, Mac, and Windows platforms with MPlayer and VLC media player. Programs such as Media Player Classic, Totem, RealPlayer, QuickTime, and GOM Player can also be used. Some cell phones use the .mp4 extension for 3GP video.

MC will play a 3gp file without renaming it.

Full article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GP
Pages: [1]   Go Up