INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any recommendations for Media Receivers that work well with MC13?  (Read 2629 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..

Any recommendations for Media Receivers that work well with MC13?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
Re: Any recommendations for Media Receivers that work well with MC13?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:47:16 am »

bump

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:56:16 pm »

This device has been getting a lot of attention but I don't know how it would go with MC13 http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
JRiver CEO Elect

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:02 am »

Thanks Nathan, I'll take a look at this one.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:09:57 pm »

But what about receivers these days?  Don't some provide some features?  I'm using the Denon 3808ci in the main great room area and I think it has some media streaming functionality.  I should check into it for curiosity but since I have MC readily available, it's been on the back burner.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:52 pm »

But what about receivers these days?  Don't some provide some features?  I'm using the Denon 3808ci in the main great room area and I think it has some media streaming functionality.  I should check into it for curiosity but since I have MC readily available, it's been on the back burner.

I have a Yamaha receiver which works - but the navigation is terrible. Maybe the Denon is better.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:33:07 am »

I know when we bought our Yamaha years back, the better version had ethernet.  Ours doesn't.

If I'm not mistaken it is only 65 watts per channel but it will scream!  I saw a newer Yamaha with, I think, 120 watts per channel actually SHUT off during loud volumes--which I considered as loud as our 65 watt receiver could do.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 02:13:44 pm »

Mine is the Yamaha RX-V2700. Lot's of power, lot's of features, Ethernet connection, but using it as a media receiver is not good. Navigation is terrible & slow. So I will do something else and feed it into the AV receiver.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 02:58:07 pm »

This device has been getting a lot of attention but I don't know how it would go with MC13 http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Looks interesting, but It's hard to judge how it will work with MC13, and how good the navigation is. If anyone has one and can comment, please provide feedback.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:10:08 pm »

Hardware boxes are very tricky, in my opinion.  I do use the Netgear MP101 music players and own 4 of them.  At the moment, I only have one hooked up and in use.  It's in the bathroom with an Altec Lansing 2.1 audio system.  I have used other systems that seek to provide video and the few I have tried are garbage.  Thankfully, I was able to sell the device on eBay.  All I seek is something as good as Media Center in a nice, $100 - $300 set top box, with regular updates (like MC) and small/quiet/cool.

Of course this is highly unlikely.  One key to a housewide media system is having consistency.  Even if the computers aren't the same (which they are definitely not), at least I have common software and IR remotes for interfacing.  Media Center is truly the only solution that is even an option--and it's the best one at that.  I suppose some newer boxes might be getting good but I've invested a lot in setting up hardware for MC so switching would require tons of effort.  Then, as soon as 13.0.120 is released, I may want to switch back to MC!  no way....MC it is
Pages: [1]   Go Up