INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YEAR issues  (Read 1825 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
YEAR issues
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:23:30 am »

I'm using FLAC exclusively.  All rips done outside of MC.

I just noticed a bunch of my albums have lost their YEAR data and upon checking notice the field is no longer present in the FORMAT data for the file.  I searched the forums and noted the confusion of dates with FLAC and some attempts to rectify.

I just took an example album and did the recommended Update Library (from tags) for an album with no year set and MC set the year to 1899.  Not very helpful.  And clearly updating my entire library from tags is not an option until this is resolved.

Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
  44.1 kHz Sample Rate
  16 Bits Per Sample
  2 Channels

Min Block Size = 4608
  Max Block Size = 4608
  Min Frame Size = 17
  Max Frame Size = 10811
  Padding Block = 3491 bytes

SeekTable Block (162 bytes):
  # of points = 9

Vorbis Comment Block (783 bytes):
  Vendor String = reference libFLAC 1.1.2 20050205
  date = 1899/12/30

And because of the changes to processing YEAR could we get some official clarification as to how we are supposed to handle the YEAR field with FLACs as  I'm totally confused.  I can knock up a WIKI FAQ entry afterwards.

One thing I absolutely want to do is store the YEAR field, or it's equivalent, in the FLAC tags to  protect the data from database corruptions, but also make it available to other software.  This no longer seems possible?

Cheers,

Mark

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Re: YEAR issues
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:59:40 am »

I've reported troubles with the "Year" ID3 tag/field a while ago. There could be a general problem, not only in connection with FLAC files. Today, i've cleaned up several albums that had three independant "Year" ID3 tags with different contents (!). That was after an "update tags from library".

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:19:36 am »

The latest MC13 build mostly fixes the FLAC year tag issues.

The only remaining tag compatibility issue is caused by the JR_DATE tag. JR_DATE contains a precise DATE value in MC's internal format. If the JR_DATE is present in the file tags it has a preference when file tags are read. An externally changed year value cannot be imported to MC unless also the JR_DATE value is fixed accordingly or removed from the file tags.

I have suggested a couple of possible solutions in the closed beta board and I hope the developers can fix the problem soon.

In addition, I have reported the "Date" tag issues with MP3/ID3v2 tags and suggested a solution.

EDIT

Naturally the fixed FLAC plugin in the current MC13 build cannot help if the file tags and the library data are not correct anymore.

I also noticed that MC13 does not clear the corresponding file tags when the Date value is removed inside MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:53 pm »

Sorry, still buried in server work.

As far as removing the tags goes, I assume that you think both the JR_DATE and standard DATE tag should be removed when a blank tag is passed from MC?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:28:33 pm »

As far as removing the tags goes, I assume that you think both the JR_DATE and standard DATE tag should be removed when a blank tag is passed from MC?

That would be logical. For instance, when the Genre value is cleared the Genre tag is removed from the file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:14:13 pm »

I have experienced similar strange behavior.  A large handful of albums somehow received blank or very old years--1546 or something like that.  Luckily not all, but a fair number did.  So I was trying to go back in and fix the incorrect years.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:44:53 pm »

I have experienced similar strange behavior.  A large handful of albums somehow received blank or very old years--1546 or something like that.  Luckily not all, but a fair number did.  So I was trying to go back in and fix the incorrect years.
Under what situation did this happen? With the current plugin??

I have fixed the removing of the DATE tag. It was removing JR_DATE but not DATE as well.

I'm waiting until I can get time to fix the other DATE sync problem to update the distro.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 11:25:59 pm »

I was hesitant to say that because unfortunately, I cannot provide more details.  I just know that I had about 20 CDs that had a Year value of 1899 and none of them were released then.  I also checked every CD as it was being ripped so it's very unlikely I made so many invalid entries.  If I had more details, I would definitely post them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up