INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Created my own tag field... but can't import into another library, why???  (Read 1210 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen

Hi,

Below is my problem with creating my own tag field, can anyone explain?

I have two libraries for my music, one for new music and one for my collection.
I don't like to mix new music into my collection, at least until I have had the chance to listen and tag the songs.

Step 1:
I created my own tag field (Vocals) by following the steps on:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/File_Properties_(tags)#Importing_the_.27tag.27_information

Step 2:
I edited a few songs and the custom tag information seemed to save to the file.

Step 3:
I moved the songs to another folder on my computer (the main music collection)

Step 4:
I loaded the main music collection library in media jukebox and performed auto-import
The new songs showed in the list, but the custom tag field for every song I edited was empty.

Note: the custom tag field is in User Fields for both of the libraries.
Why did this happen? What can I do.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

You can confirm that the tag is really inside the file by checking the tag dump in Action Window > Tag > Format (you can click the first line or the Format field header in AW > Tag to open the tag dump).

Did you specify "Store in file tags" in the field options?
Do the library fields have identical names on both PCs?

What is the file format? MJ cannot tag all formats. If the file format does not support tagging you can export an MPL playlist to the nearest common root folder (common for the included files) and import the MPL file on the target PC. An MPL file contains all library metadata including all field values and statistics. Select the "Store paths relative to exported playlist location" option to make the MPL playlist relative so that the drive letter and other unnecessary parts of the file paths will not be included. You can export an MPL playlist from any view or file selection.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

janusbengtsson

I have experienced the same problem for a long time. I thought it would have been solved in MC13 but it hasn't (downloaded the new version today).

It doens't matter if you try to import the track from one library to another, or if you edit the tag info on a track in the playing now list (before importing the track to the library). The custom tag fields info disappears. Also rating information and some other standard field infos disappear.

I experience the problem with both mp3's, wma's and m4a's so it has nothing to do with the file format. I have marked the "Store in file tags (when possible)" under all my custom tag fields but apparantly it doesn't store the info anyway.

I hope you can detect the problem and solve it. I have spent 100's of hours custom tagging (mood, tempo, language etc.) all my 6,500 tracks, but I can't move my music collection nor make a backup of it without losing all the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up