INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Separate View Schemes  (Read 2095 times)

muellator

• Recent member
Separate View Schemes
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:45:43 pm »

Hi,
In Media Jukebox 12 and Media Center 12, I was able to set my viewing scheme so that when I when into audio, I would see each artist listed alphabetically. I could then double-click the artist and then I would have it set to show each album sorted by date (I also had it display date). I liked the way this worked and would like to get MC13 to do the same.

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Separate View Schemes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:14:48 pm »

Right click "Audio" and select "Customize View.."

In the top left, under "Show Categories In This Order" you need 3 Library fields...

Artist (make sure to check of "Grouping (i.e. A-C, D-F, etc.) box)
Artist
Year - Album

Use the Add/Remove buttons to add the library fields.

You might also want to replace the Artist field with Album Artist or Album Artist (auto). What ever works best for you.

On the right hand side under "Options" and under "Tree" make sure "Support tree browsing" is checked.

I also suggest that you set the "Group by" to "Year - Ablum"

muellator

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:28:21 pm »

One thing I still can't get is the way I used to display the albums. When I would click the artist and it would display the albums, I would have it show the album thumbnail, below it would be the title and the year on separate lines:
*Thumbnail here*
Album name

How would I do this in MC13?

221bBS

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »

On the left side under "View As" select "More" > "Panes and Album Thumbnails"

On the right side under "Options" > "Thumbnails" click the "Text: "
and type or copy/paste the following...

[Album]
[Year]

muellator

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:17:08 am »

On the left side under "View As" select "More" > "Panes and Album Thumbnails"

On the right side under "Options" > "Thumbnails" click the "Text: "
and type or copy/paste the following...

[Album]
[Year]

I did this, but it would not show the whole year, it was like there wasn't space for it underneath the thumbnail (if that makes any sense).

221bBS

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:49:08 am »

Make sure that you press enter after [Album].

If that's not the problem, try playing with the slider on the top right of MC 13. Under the search box and to the right of "YouTube" link.

If that doesn't work, right click "Audio" and select "Customize View.."
On the right side under "Options" > "Thumbnails" click the "Spacing: 0 x 0 "
1st 0 controls horizontal spacing, 2nd 0 controls vertical spacing. Try adjusting the 2nd 0 to 5 or 10.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:49 am »

I am fighting with this too  ?
In MC 12 no problem however in MC 13 I just can't crack it! No matter what I do I get Artist thumbnails sorted by name (OK) however instead of sorting albums by Year I always get sorting by Name too  ::)  (I don't want the Year to be visible)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6ZKA1p2PTR4/SYnWK73dawI/AAAAAAAAALM/pXRkc9cs39I/sorting(1).jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_6ZKA1p2PTR4/SYnWLZswMRI/AAAAAAAAALU/eY5HjzCQA8o/sorting(2).jpg

And to make this even more confusing there is another "Sorting" option here  ?   Why?? What is the purpose for this??

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6ZKA1p2PTR4/SYnWLhvSASI/AAAAAAAAALc/LChfbKqHlEo/sorting(3).jpg

What am I doing wrong? It just should work this way, right? I mean Add the field -> Edit -> set the desired Sorting logic, Add another field etc. and that should be it!  ::)

I must say I am pretty struggling with the new View / Library view / Columns logic in general (it definitely does not work the way it should) and I still did not achieve the same behaviour as I did in MC 12 quite easily  :-\  This is a mess.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:28:49 am »

There's a bug with sorting of album groupings.  Albums get special treatment so that all the "Greatest Hits" won't end up together.  But this special handling wasn't preserving user sorting.

This will be fixed next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:59:41 pm »

I did this, but it would not show the whole year, it was like there wasn't space for it underneath the thumbnail (if that makes any sense).
Does this help?

-marko

muellator

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 05:31:53 pm »

Does this help?

-marko

No, unfortunately it doesn't, but thanks anyways. I guess I'll be without the dates until the next build comes out. Any idea when that will be?

gappie

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 09:46:51 am »

muellator, i do think what you want is not possible anymore in a simple way, i mean the second line under the album. you want to click on the artist and then get all the albums from that artist where the name of the album gets the year underneath it sorted by date?

but when you go to edit the view scheme and enter this in the

[Name]
If(IsEqual([name],[Album],0),[Year],)

this will give a second line under your album name with the year. and, not ideal, an empty line under the artist. when you set the sorting first by album artist (auto) and then the year it works nicely in my case.
http://pix01.com/SY@5wkj

:)
gab

JONCAT

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:28 am »

Matt,

I know I'm not going to win the battle on how sorting applies globally to a view scheme in MC13 whereas each field view in a scheme in MC12 has its own.

But, please consider how semi-colon delimited fields are treated by MC13 sorting algorithm.  The effect, on albums, is that they are treated much like Multiple Artist albums in Views sorted by Artist Album (auto): they are listed first, and essentially out of place of the intended sorting.

What happens is that the whole point of using such a tag is lost when sorting with the semi-colon delimited field in another view.

For example, if I create a Custom Artist field (in order to keep all files under the correct tile and not tucked away in Multiple Artist tiles), and I want to then view Albums but sort according to this Custom Artist field so I can see album tiles sorted by artist, MC puts any albums which have the semi-colon delimited field propagated with more than when entry first.

As opposed to placing the the album in the view according to the first letter, which makes sense, we end up with a field which is essentially not scalable i.e. it is only useful for one type of sorting.

I feel this is one of the minor drawbacks, that 13 so globally applies sorting, the user's only recourse is to create multiple new and unique view schemes to accommodate their various sorting needs.

Please consider this change if is reasonable. I'm not the only using this type of field in a custom tag, and I hope others can comment on this.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up