INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aha! Portable install!  (Read 2914 times)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
Aha! Portable install!
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:17:59 pm »

OK, I think what I intended all along is a portable install.  MC Only.  But it appears that I need a license to do a portable install (at least that's what the message says).  Sound right?  I just wanted to test it first...

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Aha! Portable install!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »

You'll need a fully licensed copy of MC in order to install a licensed portable install.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:28:04 pm »

How can I purchase the license before I install it?  Will I just point to the license when I start the portable install?

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »

Yeah, looks like I need a license to install it, but I can't get a license until I install.  Awesome.  Can I not just give someone a credit card #, and they can send me a license file?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:06:32 pm »

Install on any PC, purchase, and then do the portable install.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:06 pm »

OK,so now I have a license, but the software is not finding it during the install.  Where does it expect the license file to be?  It's not prompting me for the location.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:10:34 pm »

Once you've paid and installed MC/license, you can run the portable install.  I don't think you have to do anything else.  It will just allow a portable install now and the install will work.  Try it!

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:14:11 pm »

Yeah, I tried it.  Says I can't install without a valid license.  But it didn't look very hard for the license.  It's right next to the setup.exe.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:15:48 pm »

I'm assuming, of course, that the file with type of mediacenter.13.registration IS the correct file.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:19:35 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking we have a bug here.  I'm installing the software on J (portable J), but the license isn't found if the registration file is on J.  So I put it on the root of C and still no luck.  What to do?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:24:22 pm »

You need to register the license on the system.  Media Center > Help > Registration Info must show the program as registered before you can do a portable install.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 11:28:13 pm »

So, you're saying I can't install it until I register it?  And I can't register it until I install it?

I purchased the registration by installing on another machine.  If I register in that machine, how will that help me install it on another?  Seems impossible.

benn600

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »

When you open MC does it ask you to register?  If not, then run the installer and select Portable Install.  Then enter your flash drive location into the destination.

What error/problem do you get then?

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 11:55:12 pm »

This is what happens...

I downloaded the install file, and it's called Media Center 13 and it's file type is 7z Setup SFX.  It's basically a setup.exe which launches Install Wizard.

It extracts a bunch of files with a progress bar showing the % complete.

Then it gives me a license agreement that I can accept or decline.  I accept it (without reading, like everyone else).

I choose Custom (for the portable install) and click Next.

Then it wants the "Destination Directory".  It gives me an "Install To" prompt with an option to choose a directory.  I choose J:\MediaCenter on my portable drive.  The registration file is also in that same directory.

I click Next and I get the message "Failure Copying License:  Install Wizard can only perform a portable install if you have a valid license on this machine."  My only option is to click OK.  I get another summary message telling me to reboot or whatever, and the software exits.

benn600

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:57:44 pm »

Double click your license file.  Once the license is properly installed, you can practically throw the file away.  MC handles the license all on its own in the background.  You don't need the file.  But it has to be properly installed.  You HAVE TO install a normal MC first.  You cannot install a portable version first.

1. Install a normal version (NOT portable).
2. Double click the license.  MC will open and say license installed successfully.
3. Then try portable install.  Should work.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 12:03:05 am »

Then can I delete the "normal" version?  I was trying to keep my PC clean, and I've already deleted the "normal" copy I used to get the registration to begin with.   ? :-[

benn600

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 12:06:31 am »

Hmmm.  Uninstalling may be okay if you don't remove registry entries.  I would suggest installing and then running the portable install.  Then, who cares if removing it won't let you install one...you've already got your copy.  I am among the most strict when it comes to keeping my PC clean but you wouldn't ever find a PC of mine without MC.  That's like a non-water-proof computer being in water.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 09:14:25 am »

It worked!  And I was able to delete the "normal" copy with no problems.  Now I can point to the portable drive from any PC and it works.  It was a little awkward, and not very intuitive, so this note should probably be added to the instructions.  MC has exceeded my expectations with this ability to create a portable version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up