INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Build Thumbnails?  (Read 1643 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Auto Build Thumbnails?
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:08 pm »

Is there a way to have MC build thumbnails for all items in the library?  I would like MC to do so, on its own, very slowly, when idle.  I know that building thumbnails on many HTPCs around the house simultaneously could truly be a huge task for the server.  We're talking about probably 60 thousand items, 100% of which have a thumbnail associated.

Does Built Thumbnails from auto import do this?  The problem is that I don't have the items being auto imported.  I run the imports on my own (for various reasons).  So is it possible to have thumbnails built in the background without auto import?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Auto Build Thumbnails?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:52:37 pm »

You will have to enable auto-import.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:31 pm »

Not that I want to encourage background tasks or that you would want to add them but what about just what I said, a very slow, idle task that built thumbnails when idle, one at a time when not busy?

Or, I have many user accounts / libraries / systems that use the exact same server library--basically three folders: /music, /video, and /pictures

Would it ever be possible to store the thumbnail database on the server in a central location I choose?  Can you get satisfactory thumbnail performance over a gigabit or 100Mb network connection?  Then, the server could handle all thumbnail building and all clients could easily share the one database.  It's a lot of work building thumbnails for a huge library so many times.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:12:33 pm »

Not that I want to encourage background tasks or that you would want to add them but what about just what I said, a very slow, idle task that built thumbnails when idle, one at a time when not busy?

Again, we call that auto-import.  It can thumbnail, analyze, get art, and do other background tasks.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:35:30 pm »

Now for it to work, I have to auto import all 3 of my used folders, correct?  There isn't a way to simply turn on auto import but rather, I have to select all these items, right?

Call it a bug or something else but when I name my VIDEO_TS DVD rips and turn on auto import, the names get overwritten and changed to VIDEO_TS.  Can you reproduce this problem?  I am not using a VIDEO_TS folder but rather just the movie name with files inside + folder.jpg file.

So if not for this issue, I would love using auto import.  But it ruins my DVD titles everytime it scans.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:41:20 am »

Call it a bug or something else but when I name my VIDEO_TS DVD rips and turn on auto import, the names get overwritten and changed to VIDEO_TS.  Can you reproduce this problem?  I am not using a VIDEO_TS folder but rather just the movie name with files inside + folder.jpg file.

It's a bug.

We'll try to get it fixed in a coming build.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:36:03 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up