INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: benn600: DVD rips and auto-import  (Read 2478 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
benn600: DVD rips and auto-import
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:54:36 am »

On running auto import, it no longer overwrites the title, which is great.  However, each and every time I run auto import, it displays every DVD file as having external tag changes.  I see every DVD listed many times, indicating it is probably noticing each VOB, IFO, etc.  But again, it updates library to match external changes on every auto import.

I'm wondering if this is the cover art field.  MC is setting a cover art tag locally, "folder.jpg" but it can't save this out.  So [Name] and [Cover Art] are the two changing tags.  Can you do for cover art what you did for Name, Matt?  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: benn600: DVD rips and auto-import
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:48:57 pm »

I don't know why it's detecting external changes.  It shouldn't be.

Could you look at the [Date Modified] for the DVD entry in Media Center and compare it to what's on disk?  Does it change after you do Update Library (from tags) for the file?

I believe this is the only field used when checking for external changes, so we should be able to figure out what's happening.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:22:38 pm »

I pulled up three movies from a trilogy, all DVD rips.  I opened tagging (Alt + Enter) and displayed [Date Modified].  They all three say 4/10/2008 with differing times.  After running an update library from tags, [Date Modified] and [Image File] both remain exactly the same.  What should I try next?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:25:17 pm »

I pulled up three movies from a trilogy, all DVD rips.  I opened tagging (Alt + Enter) and displayed [Date Modified].  They all three say 4/10/2008 with differing times.  After running an update library from tags, [Date Modified] and [Image File] both remain exactly the same.  What should I try next?

Does that date modified match what the file system shows for those files?

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:52:17 pm »

Yes, it does match the file system's modified date.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »

Check the file size of the IFO on the system vs in the library as well.

For what it's worth, I can't get auto-import to detect external changes on an imported DVD (unless I edit the IFO by hand).

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:33:36 pm »

The file size doesn't change.  I'm going to create a brand new MC library and import the trilogy folder only.  I'll report back shortly.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:39:07 pm »

Okay, here's a detailed summary of what I tried.

1. Created brand new library called "Test"
2. Confirmed no files exist by running auto import -- no files updated / found /etc.
3. Added Video/Movies/Trilogy to auto-import.
4. Immediately noticed the 3 new files added to Video.
5. Ran auto import--checking 93 files.  Updated 93 files that had external changes.
6. Update library from tags also updates them.

Each and every time I run an update library from tags, the cover art disappears and reappears.  It seems like it's refreshing it somehow.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:41:21 pm »

I think I solved the mystery.

Most people have an inline VIDEO_TS folder before all the files.  I realized I can remove this and MC still functions properly.  When I added the VIDEO_TS folder to the mix, MC no longer saw differences.

Any chance you could fix it so I don't have to go add the folder to every single movie?  I like the cleanliness of not needing this extra folder.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:40:27 pm »

Ben, I just saw this thread... I have the same issues with certain DVD rips, but not others, and couldn't find any rhyme or reason to it before now. I also usually get rid of the VIDEO_TS folder, especially if there is no accompanying AUDIO_TS folder. So I think you may be onto something :)

benn600

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 11:11:20 pm »

Thanks for your persistence on this Matt!  I'm here to test things you need tested.

Having VIDEO_TS just adds an extra step for browsing the folders, not to mention inflating the MFT, by whatever small percentage.  When I realized I didn't need the folder, I spent a lot of time going through and removing it.

I am quite sure it is the VIDEO_TS folder that is causing the problems.  I keep running different tests with different DVDs and consistently see it working properly with the VIDEO_TS folder in place.  Please let me know if allowing no VIDEO_TS folders will be supported in MC.  If not, I'm going to add them in so it's working properly.

benn600

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 12:40:21 pm »

I manually added VIDEO_TS folders to my 968 DVDs.  It's working fine now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 03:30:27 pm »

I'm not certain I understand the VIDEO_TS folder issue you're describing.  Could you spell it out for me in more detail?  Ideally we'd like to support any reasonable naming scheme.

Thanks.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:31:56 pm »

Including the 'industry standard' naming conventions?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 11:16:32 pm »

Including the 'industry standard' naming conventions?

?

benn600

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 12:12:19 am »

Each DVD was previously denoted by a folder called the movie, say "Twister" and I had all the actual files (VOB, IFO) directly inside this folder.  Using this method, MC would always find differences.

If I take the movie folder's contents and place them inside a "VIDEO_TS" folder, the problem disappears.

So I went from: /Twister/files.vob
To this: /Twister/VIDEO_TS/files.vob

By simply adding this folder inline, which is actually present on all DVDs, MC correctly recognized no changes.  It's just that without the folder, MC still recognized the DVD but, as discussed, every auto import would prompt new changes to MC's auto import.  I had manually removed the folders everywhere probably a year ago because I truly prefer simplicity and removing all those unnecessary folders seemed great.  In a quick effort to get MC fully functional for a party we're having today (Saturday), I went through and added the folders.  My major adjustments had destroyed MC in the key rooms -- video anyway -- so I needed to act now.  It was my fault for attempting such a huge change before a big event.
Pages: [1]   Go Up