INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A tricky minimisation  (Read 906 times)

Vlad

A tricky minimisation
« on: July 20, 2002, 05:33:09 am »

As far as I can see, this can't be done in MJ.  Please enlighten me if I'm wrong (I hope I am).

Being an anal pedant (like so meny MJ users), I store the correct artist details for every track.  This causes a bit of a problem for Artist/Album type view schemes.  The Artist list quickly becomes dominated by obscure names from countless compilation albums.

I want to create a view scheme that includes Artists only if I have one of their albums.  So I want a scheme that shows all tracks by Artist for whom I have an album but includes their tracks from compilation albums as well.

For the technically minded, it's simpler to describe in SQL:

SELECT *
FROM   Library
WHERE  Artist IN
( SELECT Albumartist
 FROM   Library
 WHERE  Albumartist NOT= "Various Artists")

Listening to: 'All That Jazz' from 'Best Of Ute Lemper, The' by 'Ute Lemper' on Media Jukebox

dragyn

RE:A tricky minimisation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2002, 06:23:49 am »

Just use Artist instead of Album Artist in the view scheme. If that's not what you want, then you'll have to give more details.

Vlad

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 06:32:41 am »

Dragyn,

I think you missed my point.  I'm using Artist now, but because I own a lot of compilation albums, the Artists that I'm really interested in are far outnumbered by the ones that I have a single, obscure track for and don't really know.  So, I want a scheme showing only those artists which I like enough to own a whole album of.

Along with the SQL pseudo-code, I think that's as much detail as the question can support.  

dragyn

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2002, 06:49:31 am »

Then use Album Artist?

If you are trying to show a song from a compilation CD under a full CD from the same Artist, MJ can't do that without showing all the artists as in "Artist".

I have my soundtracks/various under Album Artist and use that in the view scheme. Then all of those will be listed as whatever you put in Album Artist (Soundtracks or whatnot) and the album can be listed under that.

But showing those songs under the regular artist field is impossible I think for artists you have a full album of.

I know I probably don't make any sense.

Vlad

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2002, 07:09:13 am »

Dragyn,

you make plenty of sense.

But showing those songs under the regular artist field is impossible I think for artists you have a full album of.

That's exactly what I want to do.  I think it's impossible too (in this version), but I'd still like to do it.

Vlad ,

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2002, 05:40:38 pm »

Dragyn,

I took your advice.  I've just done my contemporary stuff and it's not too bad.  I manually updated the Albumartist on all my compilations to "Various Artists" (surprisingly, it only took a few minutes).  I've now got 4 view schemes for contemporary;Albumn, Album Artist/Album/Artist, Album Artist/Artist/Album, Artist/Album.  Right-click/Find file/Artist allows me to quickly see everything for an Artist (including compilations) if I want.  The Forward/Backward mouse buttons are GREAT.

It's Sunday morning and life's good!

Listening to: 'Someone to Watch Over Me' from 'Way You Wear Your Hat, The (Disc 1)' by 'Janet Seidel' on Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up