INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 as a playback software - slow startup problem  (Read 1462 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC13 as a playback software - slow startup problem
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:59:57 am »

Hi,

I had posted this request in MC12 before but at that time most development had already moved to MC13 so here I am again.

I love to MC for playback of all different types of audio and video files. However, I find that playing back multiple video files of large sizes (typically derived from hard drive based HD camcorders in my case) is problematic. Here is the problem: I select multiple files in a Windows Explorer window and then right click on them and select to play with MC13. These files are typically not part of the library already and in many cases I do not want them to be part of library as they are still unedited. MC13 then starts analyzing these files, analyzes all of them and then adds them to the playing now and starts playing the first file. This could sometimes take minutes depending on the size and number of files. I would like MC13 to start playing these files instantly. For example, if I choose to play this file in Windows Media Player, the first file starts playing within 1-2 seconds.

My feature request is to start playing the first file as soon as analyzing it is complete and not having to wait to analyze all the files before starting to play the first file. This will make MC13 much more usable as a stand-alone player.

Thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC13 as a playback software - slow startup problem
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:42:27 am »

There is an option somewhere that lets you choose whether to add all files played to your library.  If it is checked, uncheck it.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:31:02 pm »

There is an option somewhere that lets you choose whether to add all files played to your library.  If it is checked, uncheck it.

I have already unchecked this option. Still, the files are "analyzed" before starting to play these files. This analysis can take upto 2-3 minutes - which is too long when you just want to watch some video files.

Thanks,
Osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:26 am »

I agree it would be better if it analyzed files in the background and started playing as soon as one was ready.  This isn't a trivial change, so may be a little ways out.

For now, you could pick a single file to play in Explorer instead of many.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:02:24 pm »

I agree it would be better if it analyzed files in the background and started playing as soon as one was ready.  This isn't a trivial change, so may be a little ways out.

For now, you could pick a single file to play in Explorer instead of many.

My home videos are usually many files where each file is anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. Picking up a single file to play is not a viable option for me.

Any other player that I have tried (Windows Media Player, VLC, Zoomplayer etc.) do not have this problem. If these files are not to be added to the library, why do we need to analyze them at all? Can we just start playing them?

Thanks,
Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:59:16 pm »

Any updates on this request?

Thanks,
Osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:50:42 am »

A coming build will import and thumbnail videos faster.  Let us know how it goes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up