INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Locations  (Read 1522 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
DVD Locations
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:34:33 am »

Could Open File Location be made to work with DVD Movies.
Also Drag and Drop?

Robo983

• World Citizen
Play a Ripped DVD from file Locations w/Library Server
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:13:32 pm »

Bump

I like the idea of what I think you are asking for. I just spent about 6 hours this weekend fiddling with trying to get my MP4 videos and DVDs working in Library Server with .114 now to see there was an issue with .114.

If this is a request to have a Theater View link to open a folder and play the file type IFO vs playing something from the Library server sounds like it would solve the IFO and ripped DVDs not playing in Library Server mode.

I think I did still read a post the Library server does not play a Ripped DVD. You have to create a library from the media it self. I tried this and I am still not certain it is working. I loaded the Quick time player and upgraded the WMP to 11. Both of those play the file fine in External program mode but it seems Library Server does not pass the file location for IFOs or MP4 for me now. It also takes about 3-5min when it does work to load an MP4 movie so not sure what is up with that.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: DVD Locations
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:12:43 am »

Library Server replaces the filenames with streamable addresses. They are similar to HTTP internet adresses. Each library file gets a single streamable address. The system cannot possibly work with referenced files like audio tracks from a cue sheet or DVD videos from a VIDEO_TS folder.

The delay issue is releted to the streamabilty. The direct show filters that split and decode video container files on the client PC usually need the see the complete file before playback can be started. In most cases the client must download the file first. AFAIK, only MPEG1 files can be played directly and instantly without first downloading them.

In the current form Library Server is not practically usable with big video files.

However, you can use the shared library system which works fine with video files. A search would probably find more info about it, but here's a simplified explanation:

1. Place the media files in a location that can be accessed through an identical path on all PCs.
2. Import the files to a new library or fix the file paths in an old libary to point to this location.
3. Place the library in a shared location that can be accessed from all PCs.
4. Configure each PC to use this shared library.

Only the first PC will be able to save changes to the library. The other PCs will open the library in a read-only mode. You can update changed library info on the other PCs by reloading the library or by restarting MC. If you want to save changes with a certain MC instance you can close all MC instances and start the desired instance first.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:16:18 am »

Thanks again Alex for the explanation on this one too. Looks like I need to migrate to the shared library to ultimately get where I want to be with MC. Nice to know I do not have network issue either so your explanation I am sure saved me several hours this weekend trying to figure out why my smaller Music Videos in WMV format load so much faster than my large MP4 movies.

I was already having to reload MC w/Library server to get updates so that will not be an issue. Seems I also saw a post about locking a library. I definitely want to "lock" the library so only one computer can make the changes. I do not want a reboot of that PC causing one of the others to take control of the Library.

...dang I wish I had taken this advice to put my media in one network shared folder the first time I heard it.

I still like the idea of MC having a module that acted like a file browser that could open folders that may not be in the MC DB. That is probably the number two thing I miss about Meedio. The first one was nestable menus and MC13 is progressing nicely.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:56 am »

I still like the idea of MC having a module that acted like a file browser that could open folders that may not be in the MC DB.

In Standard View you can do that in "Drives & Devices" in MC's tree.
(You need to have the "My Computer" feature enabled in Options > General > Advanced > Features.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:16:27 am »

Thanks again but I really want it in Theater view with the 10' interface.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 12:51:16 pm »

I think this thread has split somewhat from my original suggestion, which didn't really concern T-View
Pages: [1]   Go Up