INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for Hauppauge HD PVR  (Read 15830 times)

DavidE

• Recent member
Support for Hauppauge HD PVR
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:12:31 am »

Are there any plans for adding support for the Hauppauge HD PVR TV Capture device?
Thanks,

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Support for Hauppauge HD PVR
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:26:15 am »

I'd be interested in this as well.  I haven't got mine at home yet, but it'll come soon enough.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:06:32 pm »

I have MC 12 and a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 internal tuner card, and love it.
I would like to get the same capability for an HD PVR device.
Jim - I'm new to this - thanks for moving my Post for this as needed.
If I can halp in any way in testing/impementing this let me know.

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:22:17 am »

This device looks very interesting. For years I've been doing my transfers from a VCR or my HD DirecTV DVRs (losing the HD) via a digital camcorder pass-thru and firewire, and then editing with Adobe Premiere Elements (hey, I'm a novice). I'm sure that's not the best way these days but I started that years ago. The only thing with this device is that it says it requires dual core which means an upgrade to my one computer that I use for video editing. From doing some reading, it seems that not everyone is having total luck with this device. Before I spend the money to order one and upgrade my computer, is this the best way out there these days to do transfers?
Jeff

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:37:53 am »

I haven't used a VCR in years, but I don't think there would be any advantage or value in using this device for VCR transfers, or any non HD source. You should get a much better video quality if your DVR has HD component (RGB) output and you use that as the input to the HD PVR. If you have digital audio this product should also support that.
I bought it because I wanted to be able to watch, and record HD TV with the best picture quality possible, and hopefully digital surround sound. I don't record much, but I wanted that option for those specials that I do want to capture.
When I first used it, it was terrible - I was ready to send it back. I use the included TMC software, and initially, it did not work for me, as you have probably read elsewhere from other people using this device/software.
I was using nVidea 6150 integrated graphics at that time.
I moved an nVidea 8600GT series graphics card to my HTPC from another computer, and it was night and day - everything works. The picture quality is awesome, 5.1 digital sound works, and TMC works without problems. While TMC works fine for recording, I don't like it for watching TV because I can not resize the window or view it in full screen, and more.
I tried every Media Center application I could find ~2 years ago, and without a doubt,
MC was the best for me. It responds instantly to channel changes, I can resize the window, use full screen, start recording with the click of a button, easy to install, and a lot more. I probably only use 1% of the MC capability, but MC gives me what I want. It is the best value out there for me. The problem for me now is I can not use the HD PVR with MC.  So I watch TV with MC/internal Hauppauge TV Tuner, and the picture quality is not near as good as what I would have if I could use the HD PVR. I can start TMC and record from the HD PVR while watching TV in MC, but I would like to get all that capability in one program (MC), and get rid of the internal TV Tuner card.
Be aware, if you do get this device it records in HD (Blu-Ray) format, and that is not compatible with non Blu-Ray DVD players, without converting.
Converting could take a lot of time and/or a powerful PC. There may be programs out there that are very efficient for converting, but I haven't looked into this. In my experience TMC is not very efficient or practical for converting the format.
My HTPC is ~2 years old, so it is not state of the art. I'm running XP Pro/SP3 on an Athlon x2 5600.
I noticed on another post Yaobing ordered a HD PVR, so I am hopeful MC will add capability for this device.
Let me know if you have any questions, or need additional info.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:33:33 am »

Thanks for the detailed info. I live in an apartment and next to the living room with my A/V setup is a mini-computer room where I have a long run of component cables running from one of my HD DVRs to the HDTV in that room. The HD PVR looks good because I already have the cables running there and can just pass thru to the TV still. I can just get the added benefit of easier transfer of my old videotapes to DVD. Thanks for the advice of the 8600GT card as I would need to get a dedicated graphics card.
I'll have to check more into the recording of the HD (Blu-Ray) format. I thought it did H.264 which Premiere Elements does support, so there must be something else different.
I do have a less powerful computer that I'm waiting for time to set up as an HTPC. At that time I'll need to reaccess how I can best utilize everything with MC.
Jeff

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:15:27 pm »

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to picture quality when I commented on 'no advantage for VCR'.
I can see where this device might make it easier, but I don't know what is involved with your current setup, how many tapes you have to convert, and if it's worth it to buy this and upgrade your PC. You would have to make the judgment call there.
You are right, it is H.264 format. From what I know that creates a disc playable on a Blu-Ray player - again I'm using the included TMC software, and don't have Premiere Elements, etc.
You may be good to go if your Premiere Elements software handles this format, and can create it on disc in whatever format you need. I am under the impression that creating a disc from H.264 creates a Blu-Ray compatible disc (using TMC). I just didn't want you to go down this path, create discs, and then find out they don't work in a non Blu-Ray player. For me this is a non issue, as I am ‘moving to Blu-Ray technology', and understand/believe the discs I create will require a Blu-Ray player to be played. From what I have read an ~apx 2 hour recording in H.264 format can be burned to a (non Blu-Ray) Double Layer DVD in Blu-Ray format. I haven't tested this, but I am optimistic about it.  I should also point out I’m no expert or guru with this technology or HTPC, I’m just trying to pass along ‘my experience’.  I am also hopeful MC will add support for this device, and solve all the problems. 
Also, the HD PVR must be turned on for pass-through to work - not an issue for me, just an inconvenience.

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:19:22 am »

Thanks again for your info. Blu-ray isn't an issue for me either as I'm using a PS3 now, but I will probably want to make regular DVD's for family who will never change (read parents). I'm also confused with the non-blu-ray DVD in blu-ray format so will need to do some research on what this exactly means. Thanks again.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:11:44 am »

A version that supports the Hauppauge HD PVR has just been released:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51496.0

Note:
You need the ArcSoft software installed. We use the ArcSoft MPEG2 Demultiplexer filter.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:27:49 pm »

Due to work hours, I don't have much time to play with this right now, but want to pass along what I can.
I downloaded the latest build to test MC13 with the HD PVR - no install errors.
The video quality is great, watching TWC cable TV.
It's everyting I hoped for, and thank you for working on this.
The issues I see:
When I start television it shuts off the passthough audio. I'm using optical SPDIF with the HD PVR.
Turning off all equipment and reseting the HD PVR did not re-enable passthrough audio.
What finally worked for me to fix this was to run the Arcsoft TME program and click record video (to watch TV). That restored my sound. This happens every time I use MC13 with the HD PVR.
I watch TV using MC13 in detached mode, so I have 2 MC Windows - Media Center and Display.
In the Display window when I right-click on TV Options / Devices, the only device listed is my SoundBlaster card.
The MC12 Display window lists the SoundBlaster card, the HD PVR, and the internal Hauppage TV tuner card.
The HD PVR is working in MC13 for video, but it isn't listed in the Display window.
In the MC13 Media Center window - Drives and Devices / Television / Configuration / Settings - both my TV devices are listed . I can send screen prints if that helps clarify this.
It seems MC13 is using the SoundBlaster for the audio and not the HD PVR audio, and the Video/Audio are out of sync. This may be a configuration issue by me, but I only see the SoundBlaster as the available audio source in MC13. The HD PVR supports 5.1 audio, and i am under the impression that the HD audio is passed through the HD PVR USB cable. fyi - I also have audio routed from the TWC cable box to my PC via RCA for compatabity with MC12 / Internal TV tuner card / SoundBlaster card.
If you need specific hardware I use, JR logs, software into, etc, let me know.
MC12 using RCA audio and Arcsoft TME using SPDIF 5.1 audio work fine with my PC - and can run / record concurrently.
Thanks again, and let me know if you have any questions.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 01:33:30 am »

Im having trouble getting mine to work, When i click configure on the device settings screen, i get an error message "failed to initalize tv tuner device"
additionally, is there a way to set MC13 to use my serial device to tune channels? as the Hauppage ir blaster is unreliable a best.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:19 am »

You need the ArcSoft software installed. We use the ArcSoft MPEG2 Demultiplexer filter.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 06:22:22 am »

The issues I see:
When I start television it shuts off the passthough audio. I'm using optical SPDIF with the HD PVR.
Turning off all equipment and reseting the HD PVR did not re-enable passthrough audio.
What finally worked for me to fix this was to run the Arcsoft TME program and click record video (to watch TV). That restored my sound. This happens every time I use MC13 with the HD PVR.

Check which audio decoder gets loaded.  Maybe it was the decoder setting that changed your audio mode.

I watch TV using MC13 in detached mode, so I have 2 MC Windows - Media Center and Display.
In the Display window when I right-click on TV Options / Devices, the only device listed is my SoundBlaster card.
The MC12 Display window lists the SoundBlaster card, the HD PVR, and the internal Hauppage TV tuner card.
The HD PVR is working in MC13 for video, but it isn't listed in the Display window.
In the MC13 Media Center window - Drives and Devices / Television / Configuration / Settings - both my TV devices are listed . I can send screen prints if that helps clarify this.
It seems MC13 is using the SoundBlaster for the audio and not the HD PVR audio, and the Video/Audio are out of sync. This may be a configuration issue by me, but I only see the SoundBlaster as the available audio source in MC13. The HD PVR supports 5.1 audio, and i am under the impression that the HD audio is passed through the HD PVR USB cable. fyi - I also have audio routed from the TWC cable box to my PC via RCA for compatabity with MC12 / Internal TV tuner card / SoundBlaster card.

MC12 lists both audio capture devices and video capture devices in the right-click Devices menu.  MC13 only lists audio capture devices.  That is normal.  That menu is not relevant for this device anyway, because we render audio from MPEG-2 stream coming out of Hauupauge hardware encoder.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:05 pm »

any chance for serial channel changer support for directv devices? with the hd pvr its one of the few reliable ways to do it.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 11:33:04 am »

I’m not sure if you want this kind of posting here, or somewhere else.
If needed, move this and let me know where I should post this kind of feedback.

It looks like I need to understand how MC13 works differently than MC12.
I did click on Help / Contents in MC13 and it takes me to http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Main_Page.
Is that the latest MC manual, with updated and current instructions for MC13?

What I found about losing the pass through audio:
In Drives and Devices / Television / Configure / Settings / Advanced Properties / Video Crossbar / Output
When I select "1 Audio Decoder Out" in the output list, it is associated with "4 Audio Line In' in the Input list (by default).
When I select "3 Audio SPDIFDigital In" for the associated Input and click apply, the pass through sound is restored, and then I exited through those screens.
When I double click Television to start watching TV, the sound is lost again, and I have to manually reset it to "3 Audio SPDIFDigital In", re-naviagate again...
It looks like my settings get lost.
Even worse, now when I re-boot the PC, sound is lost again even after I have restored it using Arcsoft, as previously described.

So, if I want to use the Internal TV tuner card, I guess I have to re-order the capture devices in the configuration, and then start television. I can't select the device in the Display window, on the fly, interactively. Is that how MC13 is designed to work?

While watching TV using the HD PVR:
I right-clicked on the Display window / TV recording / Record current Hour. I lost the sound I was listening to routed to the PC (not pass through).
I do see MC13 is recording the program, but now I want to stop the recording, and see if it works...Right-click does not show a stop recording option. I found in the documentation Ctrl-Shift-R toggles start/stop recording. That seems to work, but why can't I right-click recording and have the ability to stop the current recording in progress? I can in MC12. Lost functionality?

I double clicked the recording to see if it works, and the recording played with a video/audio recording full of static.
It looks like MC 13 used the internal card for the recording - not the HD PVR I was watching, and wanted to record from.
I believe I have confirmed this in the "Show Status" window...
So, it looks like MC13 does not use the "current active" TV device for "TV recording / Record current Hour".
Can I watch a program and record it at the same time, using the same device - specifically the HD PVR?

In my configuration I did add a "Dummy Bogus" channel 2. Without that I could not get any television to work.
It looks like I can not add S-video as a channel as I could in MC12. Can I add this in MC13 somehow? That is how my internal TV tuner is wired, and works in MC12. Without that option In MC13, the internal TV card does not see the "current TV program – selected in TWC set top box" - guess it just records the static from dummy channel 2.

If you need me to send any logs, capture info, screen prints, PC configuration, etc. to help clarify this, let me know.
If so, let me know how I need to capture this info for you, if I can post it, or should send it via email, etc.
Fyi – I’m running this in XP/ SP3 (32 bit) with all the latest MS high priority updates, using Avast AV, and SpyBot.

Thanks,

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:42 am »

Thanks for the details.

I’m not sure if you want this kind of posting here, or somewhere else.
If needed, move this and let me know where I should post this kind of feedback.
This is the right place to post.

It looks like I need to understand how MC13 works differently than MC12.
I did click on Help / Contents in MC13 and it takes me to http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Main_Page.
Is that the latest MC manual, with updated and current instructions for MC13?

What I found about losing the pass through audio:
In Drives and Devices / Television / Configure / Settings / Advanced Properties / Video Crossbar / Output
When I select "1 Audio Decoder Out" in the output list, it is associated with "4 Audio Line In' in the Input list (by default).
When I select "3 Audio SPDIFDigital In" for the associated Input and click apply, the pass through sound is restored, and then I exited through those screens.
When I double click Television to start watching TV, the sound is lost again, and I have to manually reset it to "3 Audio SPDIFDigital In", re-naviagate again...
It looks like my settings get lost.
Even worse, now when I re-boot the PC, sound is lost again even after I have restored it using Arcsoft, as previously described.

I see the problem now.

So, if I want to use the Internal TV tuner card, I guess I have to re-order the capture devices in the configuration, and then start television. I can't select the device in the Display window, on the fly, interactively. Is that how MC13 is designed to work?

Yes, this is one of the differences between MC12 and MC13.  MC13 manages devices so it can record on different devices while user is watching on one.

While watching TV using the HD PVR:
I right-clicked on the Display window / TV recording / Record current Hour. I lost the sound I was listening to routed to the PC (not pass through).
I do see MC13 is recording the program, but now I want to stop the recording, and see if it works...Right-click does not show a stop recording option. I found in the documentation Ctrl-Shift-R toggles start/stop recording. That seems to work, but why can't I right-click recording and have the ability to stop the current recording in progress? I can in MC12. Lost functionality?

I double clicked the recording to see if it works, and the recording played with a video/audio recording full of static.
It looks like MC 13 used the internal card for the recording - not the HD PVR I was watching, and wanted to record from.
I believe I have confirmed this in the "Show Status" window...
So, it looks like MC13 does not use the "current active" TV device for "TV recording / Record current Hour".
Can I watch a program and record it at the same time, using the same device - specifically the HD PVR?

There seems to be a problem, associated with HD PVR only.  I will look into it.

In my configuration I did add a "Dummy Bogus" channel 2. Without that I could not get any television to work.
It looks like I can not add S-video as a channel as I could in MC12. Can I add this in MC13 somehow? That is how my internal TV tuner is wired, and works in MC12. Without that option In MC13, the internal TV card does not see the "current TV program – selected in TWC set top box" - guess it just records the static from dummy channel 2.

S-Video/Composite/Component inputs are device dependent.  You need to run channel scan using that device.  In case of HD PVR, run channel scan anyway, even though it does not have a tuner.  Running channel scan will allow MC to discover all inputs.  They are saved as channels as follows:

Composite Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device
SVideo Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device
YRYBY Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 06:13:16 pm »

Thanks for the reply and looking into this - really appreciated.
You're right, I did not run a Channel Scan - didn't think I needed to as I don't use any "channel tuner"/cable coax/antenna...
Can't remember if I did a channel scan in MC12, but you know what they say about old age and the first thing to go. :)
I use S-Video (from TWC STB) for the Internal TV card, and YRPBY (component/usb) for the HD PVR - the channel I see and use is what is selected in the STB.

I deleted my manually added dummy channel 2.
I ran Channel scan, and it does find YRPBY, S-Video, and Composite.
Running the channel scan the device drop down list is empty, so I can't scan for channels by device/tuner.
I deleted Composite as a Channel as I don't use it.
It looks like the HD PVR is using the S-Video input - S-Video is the first channel listed.
I renamed the 'YRYBY Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device' channel as '1 YRYBY Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device' so it would be the first channel listed, and the default for the HD PVR - first device.
That rename trick seems to help.

I exited MC13, re-started MC13, and re-ordered the devices so the internal tuner is first.
When I double click Television it is using the HD PVR - not what I expected, but I did not re-boot the PC.

It sounds like you see some issues and are working on solutions.
I can restore an image backup of C:, and do a fresh install of the latest MC13 after you have a new build to test.
That's my preference, but what works best for you?
Thanks,

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »

Normally, you would double click a specific channel for MC to start on a precise channel.  In particular, if the "channel" is of type "Input", it is device specific.  Double-clicking on Television starts the first channel on your channel list.

When you scan for channels, you need to select/deselect digital / analog (in your case you would select Analog, and not select digital).  The next wizard page should have a list of analog devices for you to choose.

Yes, I did find out that digial audio selection does not stick.  Composite video and SVideo are associated with AUX audio, and YRYBY video is associated with Line In audio by default.  I will need to make it remember which audio line is used.

Another issue I can reproduce is recording.  It does not do anything.  When it eventually works, the Recording context menu should automatically change to "Cancel Recording" after recording has been started.

Since I have the same device, I will fix these problems and make sure it works on my computer before releasing the fix in a new build.  Then you can just install the new build and try it.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 07:39:17 pm »

Thanks - will do.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 02:52:50 pm »

A new build is out with the following fixes:

Fixed: Audio problem on analog TV/capture devices when using an input line (in particular, Hauppauge HD PVR Capture device).

Fixed: Using right-click menu or OSD menu to start recording from a video input line (on Hauppauge HD PVR Capture and other devices) did nothing.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 01:46:31 pm »

It looks like I'm getting close to integrating my HD-PVR into MC13. My setup is probably the same as many HD-PVR users and apparently it still isn't supported by MC13 unless I'm mistaken.

I use a settop box (DirecTV HR20 HDTV tuner) and the Component input on the HD-PVR. Although I can set the TV in MC13 to recognize the Component input as a channel there is no way to integrate the Guide or an external tuning device such as the USBUIRT to change channels on the external box.

Right now I use SageTV for my TV and PVR needs but would love to integrate my entire Media experience into MC.

Are these features being considered for future versions?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:10 pm »

For now you will have to use a separate remote control to change channel on the Cable/Sat box.  Integrating it into MC requires some major change in MC's design and will not happen soon.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 07:37:29 pm »

Bummer. I guess I'll stick with SageTV for TV for now. I use my HD-PVR to record several shows per day and I'm usually not home to hange channels.

smeg888

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 10:49:07 pm »

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but would appreciate some suggestion.

Have the latest version of the software.  Did the channel scan found the 3 HD PVR inputs.

But when I double click the component input all I get is a black screen with a message down the bottom - Playing Input Source 1 - Hauppauge HD PVR Capture device.  Says input one because I renamed the component to A component to get it to the top of the list. Also didn't work before I did the rename.

I did check the PVR is connected to the PC by viewing the input with Arcsoft Extreme and RCTVCap.

Was also able to use JRiver to view TV via my tuner cards

Any suggestions appreciated.

By the way am running the trial software. Will buy it if I can get this to work.

regards

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 05:46:44 pm »

I finally got time to test the latest version (MC13 and MC14), and I am still having issues.

The PC audio is still not working, and the Association shows "0:Video YRYBY In" is using "4:Audio Line In".
In another Post I saw someone else had some audio issues.
Based on that, I manually registered codecs ArcDemux.ax, ASAudio.ax, ASAudioHD.ax, ASVid.ax, but it didn't help.

I don't see the specifc Audio codecs listed in DirectShow Filters list.
I see:
VideoMixingRender9
ArcSoft Video Decoder
MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
Hauppauge HD PVR Encoder
Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device
Hauppauge HD PVR Crossbar

I'm running MS XP32, and the included Arcsoft software works.

When I click on record current hour while watching TV, the display screen turns black (no picture).
Also, the Pass Through audio gets turned off.
After clicking cancel recording, I have to turn off time shifting to restore the video.
The recording does capture video, but not audio.

Can a MC recording be converted to a BluRay format and burned to disc?
MC can play the .ts videos recorded using Arcsoft, and it is better than the Arcsoft playback.

Thanks

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 06:14:59 am »

After applying the latest MS Patch Tuesday Updates in the DirectShow Filters list I now also see.
Default DSound Audio Renderer
Indeo @Audio software
AC3Filter

Is there a way I can force MC to load and use the Arcsoft audio codecs?

Also, when I first start watching TV in MC13 in Task Manager CPU useage is ~90% and ATI CCC shows the Video card is being used.
After apx 6-7 minutes the CPU useage drops to ~20% and ATI CCC shows the video card is basically inactive.
The video is now very choppy Watching TV.
Changing something such as selecting a different audio device causes MC to start using the CPU and video card again for a short period of time.

Is there anything I can set to force MC to always use hardware acceleration?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:24 am »

After applying the latest MS Patch Tuesday Updates in the DirectShow Filters list I now also see.
Default DSound Audio Renderer
Indeo @Audio software
AC3Filter

Is there a way I can force MC to load and use the Arcsoft audio codecs?

Also, when I first start watching TV in MC13 in Task Manager CPU useage is ~90% and ATI CCC shows the Video card is being used.
After apx 6-7 minutes the CPU useage drops to ~20% and ATI CCC shows the video card is basically inactive.
The video is now very choppy Watching TV.
Changing something such as selecting a different audio device causes MC to start using the CPU and video card again for a short period of time.

Is there anything I can set to force MC to always use hardware acceleration?

I hard-coded ArcSoft decoders into MC.  They should be loaded if they can be used.  Could it be your ArcSoft software installation problem?  Have you tried reinstalling it?

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 04:02:07 pm »

I've tried un-installing and re-installing everything a number of times, doing things in a different order. Nothing gets the sound to work.

What I did find is after I install the trial version of SageTV, I see the ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD listed in the MC DirectShow Filters list, but sound still does not work.
When I uninstall SageTV, the ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD is no longer listed in the list.

I did capture the filter graph info with the ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD loaded.
If you could look at that and perhaps see what is causing the issue I'm having, let me know and I'll send it to you.

I appreciate the support, and I do want to get this working.
I use Acronis, so it's pretty easy for me to back things out of this PC whenever I want to.

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 06:48:33 pm »

Please do send the log.  yaobing at jriver dot com

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:42 am »

From the info you sent, I have the following observations:

1) You play an HD channel with AC3 audio.
2) Your AC3Filter probably is installed only by SageTV.  Uninstalling SageTV also got rid of AC3Filter.

You can try installing AC3Filter independently.  FFDShow audio decoder is also capable of handling AC3 audio.  You can install it as an alternative (either stand-alone FFDShow, or CCCP).

Configure AC3Filter/FFDShow to pass AC3 to SPDIF.  I am not sure how well ArcSoft audio decoder will handle this as it is loaded in MC.  I may need to make some changes here.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 06:45:56 am »

I installed the AC3Filter as suggested and the audio is working in MC13. Awesome! The audio/video are slightly out of sync, and I'm playig with AC3Filter trying to resolve that.
Right now it seems when I do get it right, if I change the channel on the TWC Cable Box they are out of sync again.
Thanks for looking at this and finding the problem/solution.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 06:57:04 pm »

I've tried every combination and change I can think of, and still can't get MC13 audio/video to stay in sync when I change a channel.
I have: TWC Pace settop, XP32, JRMC13, AC3Filter.
I found I must have "Use SPDIF" checked to use AC3 when I start MC to get AC3Filter and ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD to load.
When MC is loaded and running, I can uncheck "Use SPDIF" and audio continues to work.
That change can help sync the audio/video - sometimes.
Is there a known configuration that can fix this sync issue?
I don't have this sync issue using ArcSoft, but I do understand they support one device only.
MC – how many?:)

Regarding the choppy video I mentioned, when MC12 and MC13 are installed, MC13 CPU Use is ~70% and GPU activity is intermittent spikes.
When only MC13 is installed MC CPU Use is ~10-20% and GPU activity is ~40-50%.
This is about the same as ArcSoft, and is OK for me.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 10:17:18 am »

Audio video sync problem usually is caused by filters.  In your case, it may be caused by having both AC3Filter and ArcSoft Audio Decoder used in tandem.   Please post the graph info here (while TV is running, right-click and choose DirectShow Filters > Copy graph info to clipboard)?

Also, does sync problem go away if you run time-shifting?

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »

When I turned on Time Shifting, the audio was lost.
Manually setting SPDIF in the Crossbar fixed this - it was set to Line.
The video was also resized to ~75% of the detached window (can send you screen prints).
Two clicks on zoom fixed this - 100%, then Fit Window.
The audio/video is in sync using time shifting.
This is awesome - I'm sold!
Does MC13 and/or MC14 work with Windows 7 (64 bit)?
On another note: it seems MC13 tries to load FFDShow, but it doesn't load (I don't see it in DirectShow Filters)

I captured the graph 3 times:
I'll email the graphs to you - it exceed the size limit for a Post.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 04:14:08 pm »

When I turned on Time Shifting, the audio was lost.
Manually setting SPDIF in the Crossbar fixed this - it was set to Line.
The video was also resized to ~75% of the detached window (can send you screen prints).
Two clicks on zoom fixed this - 100%, then Fit Window.
The audio/video is in sync using time shifting.
This is awesome - I'm sold!
Does MC13 and/or MC14 work with Windows 7 (64 bit)?
On another note: it seems MC13 tries to load FFDShow, but it doesn't load (I don't see it in DirectShow Filters)

I captured the graph 3 times:
I'll email the graphs to you - it exceed the size limit for a Post.

The way DirectShow works: it will try to use whatever filter the application specified, and will load other filters when necessary.  Since it found AC3Filter, and MC specified ArcSoft audio decoder, there is no need to load FFDShow. 

It seems ArcSoft audio decoder is not needed when using SPDIF - AC3Filter should suffice.  That may actually explain the audio sync problem.  I should try figuring out a way to determine when not to try loading ArcSoft filter.

I am glad time-shifting works for you.

It is odd you got display size problem.  MC always tries "Fit Window" option by default.  I hope it is temporary condition.  If it happens every time, email me a log file.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 04:55:44 pm »

OK, and thanks a lot for the fast support.
When i couldn't get AC3Filter to work, I uninstalled it and tried to use ffdshow.
So, ffdshow didn't load even when AC3Filter was not installed.
I did get a message box that Media Center tried to use it.
I may not have had something configued right in ffdshow, but i tried all the obviuos choices i could find.
If you want me to capture a log for that let me know.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 06:48:51 pm »

The picture re-size issue happens every time.
I sent a log and screen prints - both pics show MC has the zoom set to "Fit Window", but the 2nd one has a large black area around the video.
Two clicks restore the video to "full window".
Thanks again...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 07:22:32 pm »

OK, and thanks a lot for the fast support.
When i couldn't get AC3Filter to work, I uninstalled it and tried to use ffdshow.
So, ffdshow didn't load even when AC3Filter was not installed.
I did get a message box that Media Center tried to use it.
I may not have had something configued right in ffdshow, but i tried all the obviuos choices i could find.
If you want me to capture a log for that let me know.

You may have to configure FFDShow to make it decode AC3.

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »

that's what i tried to do, and maybe i didn't get it right.
I sent you a log and graph when i had AC3Filter uninstalled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up