INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: analyze audio causing crash  (Read 2151 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
analyze audio causing crash
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:23:47 pm »

a problem that has been in it for a while for me and is in .115 as well:

when i try to analyze audio, it crashes the program. i am trying to analyze 4 at a time, 5500 total. running vista ultimate 32 bit. this did not happen in older versiosn of 12, im not sure if it was introduced to me late in 12 or in 13.

these are all .mp3 files.

sometimes if i analyze them 1 at a time, it won't crash it, if the number of files i'm analyzing is small. however, trying to analyze a large number of files (1000s) or multiple files at a time has been giving me problems.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: analyze audio causing crash
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:01:43 pm »

We've heard this from a few users, but haven't been able to reproduce it here.  I'm guessing there's some rare timing bug.  It could also be some third-party piece of software causing us grief.

How fast is the system and drive that holds the media?

How long does it normally run before you hit a snag?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:15:43 pm »

We've heard this from a few users, but haven't been able to reproduce it here.  I'm guessing there's some rare timing bug.  It could also be some third-party piece of software causing us grief.

How fast is the system and drive that holds the media?

How long does it normally run before you hit a snag?

Thanks.

The system is about 2.5 years old. Not top end, but it's a 2.16 GHz dual core/2 GB Ram. Shouldn't be a problem there. The drive the media is on is an internal 7200rpm drive, a different 7200rpm drive than the Windows (and MC) installs are on.

The snag is immediate. As soon as I start the analyze, it freezes up and I get the "MC has caused an error and will close" vista box.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »

The system is about 2.5 years old. Not top end, but it's a 2.16 GHz dual core/2 GB Ram. Shouldn't be a problem there. The drive the media is on is an internal 7200rpm drive, a different 7200rpm drive than the Windows (and MC) installs are on.

The snag is immediate. As soon as I start the analyze, it freezes up and I get the "MC has caused an error and will close" vista box.

Is there any chance it's file-specific?  Do you have a few APE files you could test?

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »

unfortunately i don't.

but it was working flawlessly with mp3s, even in a huge library (some time ago).

if i select just a few hundred at a time, it seems to work.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:17:58 pm »

I find the crashes happen more frequently when the number of tracks being analyzed goes above a certain threshold (about 25-30).  Below that it never crashes.  Above that it nearly always crashes.  I wonder whether the number is a red herring though and that it simply leaves more chance for a certain crash condition to be reached...

Mark

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:01:51 pm »

I think I see it now.  You have to wait a while before pressing the start button!

The new file types system in version 13 caches (for up to 10 seconds) the results of analyzing a file.  This cache wasn't thread safe, so if multiple threads hit it at just the same time, it could cause trouble.

Please test the new build once it's available, and sorry for the troubles.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:35:39 pm »

Matt,

Just analysed a batch of 111 files without issues.

Cheers,

Mark

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:44:36 am »

analyzed 4000+ files 4 at a time without issue on .119.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:30 am »

analyzed 4000+ files 4 at a time without issue on .119.

Thanks!
Thanks for the report and for your patience in solving this.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 03:36:18 pm »

The new file types system in version 13 caches (for up to 10 seconds) the results of analyzing a file.  This cache wasn't thread safe, so if multiple threads hit it at just the same time, it could cause trouble.

Have you looked at Microsoft's CHESS tool?  It's a QA/Dev tool from MS Research for finding concurrency bugs in threaded code.  It requires instrumenting the code with the equivalent of unit tests.  May be more of academic interest for you rather than practical use.  An interesting tool for QA.  There are links to a Channel 9 video and various articles about it on the CHESS research page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up