INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is MC Deactivated on Video Stop/Change?  (Read 1374 times)

skeeterfood

• Citizen of the Universe
  • We're all just food for the skeeters.
Why is MC Deactivated on Video Stop/Change?
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:58:17 pm »

Hi guys,

This has been bugging me for a while, but I haven't had the time to report it.  I don't know how long this has existed, maybe forever, but whenever MC stops a video, or transitions from one video to another MC seems to be deactivated for a tiny blip.  I'd probably never have noticed this if I hadn't started using EventGhost to handle all my remote control programming.

I have 3 main sets of remote modes: one for MC, one for TheaterTek, and one for general keyboard control which is the default.  The MC group is made active whenever MC is activated (EventGhost generates Task.Activated.<APP> events whenever a new application is activated).  The TheaterTek group is made active whenever TheaterTek is activated.  Finally, the keyboard control group is activated whenever MC or TheaterTek is deactivated.  I added on-screen-displays to the events that change modes to show what mode is being activated, since I was seeing strange things happen.  If I'm watching a multi-episode TV series in Display View I'll see an OSD event for the default keyboard mode as MC switches from one episode to the next.  Sometimes, I'll see an OSD event for the MC mode almost immediately afterward, but other times I'm left in the default mode.  If I click on MC I see the OSD display for the MC mode, so it seems to me that MC was no longer the "active" application in those cases.

Is there some way you could activate another part of MC before destroying the video?

-John

skeeterfood

Re: Why is MC Deactivated on Video Stop/Change?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:58 am »

Any chance this can be fixed?

-John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:25:46 am »

It could be a Directshow filter creating taskbar icon, which can steal the focus.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skeeterfood

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:51:27 pm »

I don't think it's a taskbar icon issue.  Just to confirm though, I disabled the taskbar icons for ffdshow (audio & video) and haali media splitter, so there are no taskbar icons that appear/disappear as the videos are played.  This also happens in standard view with the video playing in playing now or the display action window.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:04:35 am »

I don't think it's a taskbar icon issue.  Just to confirm though, I disabled the taskbar icons for ffdshow (audio & video) and haali media splitter, so there are no taskbar icons that appear/disappear as the videos are played.  This also happens in standard view with the video playing in playing now or the display action window.

I would expect the taskbar entry for the program to look unpressed if the application isn't active.  When I stop a video, the taskbar entry doesn't change.  Does it change for you?

Is there some other way we could test it?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skeeterfood

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:09:23 am »

I would expect the taskbar entry for the program to look unpressed if the application isn't active.  When I stop a video, the taskbar entry doesn't change.  Does it change for you?

Is there some other way we could test it?

Thanks.

No, the taskbar entry does not change.  Maybe it's a bug in how EventGhost detects when applications are activated/deactivated?

If you want to see it for yourself:
  • Install EventGhost from here
  • Unzip the attached configuration to wherever you installed EventGhost
  • Start EventGhost
  • File->Open MCTest.xml
  • Run MC (Should see a large "MC Activated" text appear onscreen
  • Add a couple of videos to Playing Now
  • Click next in MC and see how you get a ton of MC Deactivated/MC Activated messages on the screen as MC switches between videos
  • Stop playback and you get the same thing

I did a quick test and Windows Media Player has the same problem, though it only causes a single deactivated event when it switches videos.  Guess I should probably bug the guys on the EventGhost forum.

-John
Pages: [1]   Go Up