INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes 8 and MC13  (Read 5133 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
iTunes 8 and MC13
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:12 am »

Is this still a concern?  I've read posts from people saying that they were using MC with iTunes 8 without problems, so I'm curious if the situation had been resolved.

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
iTunes 8 and MC13
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:37:54 am »

Is this still a concern? 
Yes it is.  We don't recommend using iTunes and MC13.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
iTunes 8 and MC13
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:41:13 am »

Then there's us ipod touch & iphone users that still need itunes to do both the basics (music & video) and the more fancy (app backups, calendar syncing) stuff. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
iTunes 8 and MC13
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:44 pm »

I have iTunes 8 and MC13 installed on my laptop.  They work fine unless I try to run them both at the same time, which results in MC13 crashing about 50% of the time.

I generally only use iTunes 8 to sync things over to my iPhone, and MC for everything else.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

prod

• Play nice
iTunes 8 and MC13
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:20:35 pm »

I have both running at the same time with no problems whatsoever. MC is set to ignore my devices. I use iTunes to manage a 5gen iPod, a 2gen nano and an iPhone 3g.

prod

• Play nice
Re: iTunes 8 and MC13
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:20:14 pm »

I ought to point out I also have iPhone support in MC disabled.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »

Yes it is.  We don't recommend using iTunes and MC13.

If we need to use iTunes for anything like updating apple hardware or any sort of DRM related tasks, is it recommended to do this on another system, or should we install iTunes and then uninstall it, or is it okay to have iTunes 8 installed as long as we simply don't run it unless MC is shut down?

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:54:43 pm »

If we need to use iTunes for anything like updating apple hardware or any sort of DRM related tasks, is it recommended to do this on another system, or should we install iTunes and then uninstall it, or is it okay to have iTunes 8 installed as long as we simply don't run it unless MC is shut down?

I can't say what is "supported" or "recommended" but it works fine for me that way.  I just never run iTunes at the same time as MC.  Every once in a while I forget and leave MC open in the background.  The world has never ended.  Occasionally MC crashes, but it comes back okay (doesn't nuke the library or anything).

Perhaps the JRiver folks can better explain exactly why they say "don't install" beyond "it causes problems".  What problems does it cause?  Does it have some impact on their ability to support other new-generation iPods by installing some sort of "poison pill"?  If so, what specific hardware does it cause problems with?  I just want to know because I've not seen anything serious, but wonder about this vague admonition from JRiver fairly often.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »

Thanks for the input Glynor -- I'd be really interested in that information as well.

Also, I'm still totally unclear what iPod firmware is the newest one that is still supported by MC.  I'd like to update my iPod/s as much as possible in order to take care of various fixes in the newer firmware, but I don't want to upgrade to a version that causes problems with MC.  Does anyone have this information?

Thanks,

Larry

PS.  Did anyone ever confirm if the latest iPod classics (the 120GB versions) worked with MC, and if so, if there is some specific firmware we need to use?

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:24 pm »

Also, I'm still totally unclear what iPod firmware is the newest one that is still supported by MC.  I'd like to update my iPod/s as much as possible in order to take care of various fixes in the newer firmware, but I don't want to upgrade to a version that causes problems with MC.  Does anyone have this information?

Thanks,

Larry

I'm curious about this myself, I specifically bought a refurbished Gen 1 Touch because they don't have the newer 2.x software, although I won't know what FW will be on it until I get it next week.

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 07:23:16 am »

When I still used MC12 I upgraded iTunes to version 8 before I saw the warning, but I then uninstalled iTunes 8 and re-installed iTunes 7 before my next iPod sync. I was relieved when I saw that everything worked fine.

Now I have upgraded to MC13 and was going to prepare my first sync after that. When I chose Handheld -> Redetect all devices I get a message saying
"The data in your iPod is in an older format (Unknown) than the format currently used by Media Center (iTunes 8.0.1).

Media Center will automatically update your iPod when you transfer content.

If you are using another piece of software which depends on the older data format, plese update it to the newest version to avoid problems."

I'm slightly confused. What does this mean?

Does it mean
  • that re-detection and sync means passing the line where I could get in trouble?
  • that I have already eaten my fugu and survived? I mean, that I have already done all changes that could potentially cause truoble and that things should work fine for my files and my version of iPod in combination with MC13 just as they did with MC12? If so, redetecting and syncing from MC13 should be safe, should't it?

If it is the latter - can I then safely upgrade iTunes to version 8 again?

MC is the only software I use for syncing my iPod even though i use iTunes for buying music.

It would be great if someone could help me to sort this out.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »

PS.  Did anyone ever confirm if the latest iPod classics (the 120GB versions) worked with MC, and if so, if there is some specific firmware we need to use?

I have a 120GB iPod - no problems. I now run iTunes 7.6.2.9 and MC13. Untill recently I ran MC12 and this was issue-free.
But - now just having done my first sync with MC13 I also had the message "MC is upgrading your iPOd to iTunes 8.0.2..." This is very confusing..... Is MC supporting iTunes 8.x.x or not....?

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 01:51:19 pm »

I have a 120GB iPod - no problems. I now run iTunes 7.6.2.9 and MC13. Untill recently I ran MC12 and this was issue-free.
But - now just having done my first sync with MC13 I also had the message "MC is upgrading your iPOd to iTunes 8.0.2..." This is very confusing..... Is MC supporting iTunes 8.x.x or not....?
Sorry..... I in fact have a 150GB Classic version... Didn't even know 120GB are around....

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »

I've been successfully using iTunes 8.0.2.20, 120GB iPod (model: MB565LL, version: 2.0.1 PC) and MC13.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 04:39:03 pm »

Sooner or later, an Apple update may permanently break MC support.  Be prepared.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »

Yes I have read the dire warnings, thanks for the reminder.  I had been using MC12 with this 120GB iPod since Jan09, and just recently upgraded to MC13.  In the last 7 months iTunes 8 has offered updates (8.2.1 is available now) but I have not been accepting them, I wonder how long I will be able to stay with 8.0.2.20 before being forced to update or before it wants to update the iPod f/w. 

It's sad, really.  I only use iTunes for an occasional podcast, oh and I bought the Caprica movie.  So if they do force an update, I guess it would be an update to the iPod's firmware which would break MC support?  Or is it the update to iTunes that somehow breaks the compatibility?  Confusing.  No need to reply, I know it's not supported.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 06:26:29 am »

So if they do force an update, I guess it would be an update to the iPod's firmware which would break MC support?  Or is it the update to iTunes that somehow breaks the compatibility? 
Anything that fundamentally changes the way the iPod reads its database.  A special private key, for example, used to encrypt it.  In that case, iTunes and the firmware would both change.  That could be done without your consent by any Apple software. 

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 09:12:57 am »

Thanks so much for that example explanation, now it is much clearer why it is so difficult or near impossible to support.  Thanks again!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 01:00:09 pm »

This topic is fresh in mind, as we went down the garden path towards upgrade nirvana.  It was a costly dead end.  Apple has trouble getting its own iTunes to work with its own iPod Touch (and iPhone) devices too:

I can only imagine how challenging this is for other vendors, to not only attempt workarounds for any blocks, but then to incur any support issues like those above as well.  Forget it!

Apple has standard workarounds, most are time sink, dead ends.  They seem unable to diagnose exactly what/where the problem is, so its the usual Uninstall, reinstall, repeat, punt, contact tech support, receive (very polite) form response, give up.

Our technology and gadgets simply are not robust enough yet, and vendors intentionally locking out competition by placing barriers in the way seems to both reduce their usefulness and limit the number of possible support avenues for users.  Certainly it makes it easier for the vendor - one point of control.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 01:05:23 pm »

But the black turtleneck is cool.  I'm thinking about getting one.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 01:34:05 pm »

And once in a while, the guy in the black shirt let's others win:

Quote from: Very Polite Apple Store Mgr
I have reversed the charge for the purchase. The credit should be posted within five business days to you credit card on file with your iTunes account.

I hope this information makes your day a little brighter. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and I'll be happy to assist you. Thank you for being a member of our iTunes Store community and enjoy your purchases. Have a great day Mike!
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up