INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improvements on updating fields via library server?  (Read 2202 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Improvements on updating fields via library server?
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:03:53 am »

Has there been any improvements on updating/changing fields using library server? Last time I checked, only [Number plays], [Last Played] and [Last skipped] (not sure about this one though) were able to be updated.

The reason I ask is that the computer hosting the library server is more or less occupied so I can't really do stuff anymore. Therefor it would be GREAT if one were able to change ratings, tags etc using LS.

Thanks!

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: Improvements on updating fields via library server?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:03 am »

Yup... This is the one I've been hoping for for ages... and one or two others

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:52:17 am »

Ooohh.... My productivity at work would go down if we could do tagging through the server. 

+1 for sure.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:28:07 pm »

Yup... This is the one I've been hoping for for ages... and one or two others
Is this yup mean yup there are improvements, or yup I wish that we could tag via library server also? If there are improvements in this area, is there a list somewhere? I tried looking around the forum, and on the New Features for v.13 but didn't see anything on this. If there is not anything on this yet, seems like there could be an option in the Library server options area to lock a library to enable tagging. Kind of a single user server or somthing.
Thanks!

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:02:11 pm »

As far as I know this has not been improved, per the +1 a few posts above.  Others want it too.  I'm not horribly interested in the feature but it's just another one of those things you can put on the "MC can't do but theoretically should be able to do" list.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 11:50:08 pm »

Is this yup mean yup there are improvements, or yup I wish that we could tag via library server also? If there are improvements in this area, is there a list somewhere? I tried looking around the forum, and on the New Features for v.13 but didn't see anything on this. If there is not anything on this yet, seems like there could be an option in the Library server options area to lock a library to enable tagging. Kind of a single user server or somthing.
Yup, I wish I could do it....

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:35:08 am »

Man, I just tried doing this and it still doesn't work. This was like 90% of the reason I set up the Media Center Server at home (so I could tag at work). Already have a website streamer, so didn't really need another one if it can't do tagging. Oh well, guess I shoulda done my research first. :( Even just being able to change the rating would make it worth it.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:44 am »

I've just ended up taggin at work and have a looping robocopy script in a remote desktop session to dump files back to my server I've tagged. Wish this would make it up the list too.  ;)
Thanks!

olinbg

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »

There is always the SSH/VNC or LogMeIn route for accessing your home machine from work.

Marty3d

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 06:08:34 pm »

Not always. It all depends on 1) your bandwith at home and 2) how the network is set up at your workplace. And playing music via library server AND remote desktop into your home machine just for tagging is a bit of an overkill.

olinbg

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 10:18:38 am »

Not always. It all depends on 1) your bandwith at home and 2) how the network is set up at your workplace. And playing music via library server AND remote desktop into your home machine just for tagging is a bit of an overkill.

After trying this, I'd have to agree that the bandwidth use is heavy after all.  Editing fields in the server is probably a better approach (if it's possible).

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:19 am »

Something else I noticed yesterday is if you're connected to a Library Server and then you play a local file and try to tag it, it silently fails to save the changes to the local file. :( Have to switch the Library back to the local one then tag the files.

Marty3d

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 11:41:58 am »

Something else I noticed yesterday is if you're connected to a Library Server and then you play a local file and try to tag it, it silently fails to save the changes to the local file. :( Have to switch the Library back to the local one then tag the files.

A long time ago I requested that if we couldn't get tagging via server, at least we would be able to see what's taggable and make the other fields read-only. To me, that seemed like a good idea, but...:)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:03 pm »

This one is on the long-term list.  It won't happen in v13.

We've toyed with things like switching the library to a REST interface for true multi-user access from anywhere.  The hitch is that performance suffers and we're not willing to sacrifice class-leading database performance.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up