INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drives & Devices: Quotas?  (Read 975 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Drives & Devices: Quotas?
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:18:13 am »

Is it possible to set a quota on a 'Device and Drive' entry?

What I have in mind is a directory I set up as a device for converting music for my iPhone.  I want to use MC to manage that "device" to limit it to the amount of space available on my iPhone.

Right now I've set up a playlist to impose the limit but it's not ideal as it doesn't consider the conversion from FLAC to mp3 very accurately.

It'd be ideal if I could create the device and then impose a quota on it which MC then considered when syncing and calculating required space.

?

Mark

JONCAT

Re: Drives & Devices: Quotas?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:26:37 am »

I too have noticed the calculation isn't working very well, and maybe not correctly. I was using smartlists with a size limit once I gathered the average size reduction from APE to MP3. I would prefer a method like the one you describe. IIRC MC should be able to calculate the conversion pretty accurately, but I've been wrong before  ;)

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Drives & Devices: Quotas?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:59:37 pm »

I would love this feature as well, and have asked for it quite a few times.

It'd also be very nice to have a Smartlist Rule that would limit the full list by total size in combination with the existing Mix modifier (so we could really create an ~8GB "shuffled mix" using a Smartlist).  Right now I "emulate" this by calculating the average file size of my audio files, and then calculating approximately how many files it will take to get me to the desired list size, and then having the mix rule use that number of files.  This is clunky though and can be thrown way out of whack if the mix happens to include a few very long or very short files.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up