INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User-defined fields  (Read 2815 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
User-defined fields
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:35:21 pm »

On right-clicking on column headers in detail list view I find an option to define a user-defined field. Once created there's no option to edit that field again.
From the context-menu of the view scheme I tried to adjust that view.

When choosing >>"select location to change" => down << I see another error.

In section "choose fields" the fields are not the same like defined in the details. So, also here I can't find my custom field.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: User-defined fields
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »

When choosing >>"select location to change" => down << I see another error.

what for error. the way to change an expression made in the files section is longer than in the panes, but that is how i always change them. select location to change>Bottom (if necesary) and choose the field you are after.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:46:33 pm »

On right-clicking on column headers in detail list view I find an option to define a user-defined field. Once created there's no option to edit that field again.

After "Add Expression Column...", you have to edit the column in "Customize View > Columns > Edit..."

I agree it should be in the right-click menu for the column.  We'll see what we can do.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:18:13 am »

After "Add Expression Column...", you have to edit the column in "Customize View > Columns > Edit..."

My explaination was not detailed enough. What you described only works for "details views". For "thumbnail views" with a top and down section the expression column cannot be found under  "Customize View > Columns > Edit..."

what for error. the way to change an expression made in the files section is longer than in the panes, but that is how i always change them. select location to change>Bottom (if necesary) and choose the field you are after.

Also here, my explaination was not clear. I go to Customize view > select location to change > bottom. In the middle section > columns to show < the fields are not the same like on the actual view. That is wrong! Probably, this problem also only exists for "thumbnail views".

gappie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »

im sorry chris. i know it is hard to explain what you see. but i get a bit more confused. are you talking about columns at the top of the page and thumbnails at the bottom? becuase i dont know what columns you meant in your first post, when you talked about thumbnails. could you post a screenshot?

:)
gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:05:03 pm »

It's clear to me.

Chris,

I think you expecting too much from Expression Columns. They are just a quick way to add more or less temporary columns with calculated values to the current list view. They are strictly view specific. An Expression Column cannot be referred or used like a library field in MC's tools or accessed in other views.

An added expression column does not create a new user defined library field. You can create new calculated fields that are based on expressions in Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 03:11:37 am »

I think you expecting too much from Expression Columns. They are just a quick way to add more or less temporary columns with calculated values to the current list view. They are strictly view specific. An Expression Column cannot be referred or used like a library field in MC's tools or accessed in other views.

An added expression column does not create a new user defined library field. You can create new calculated fields that are based on expressions in Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...
Sorry, I think we still have a misunderstanding. I am aware that these columns are view specific. But there's some inconsistency with this in regards of displaying the fields in the view customizing.
So, I follow gab's proposal with a screenshot which should make my issue more obvious (hopefully).

As you can see now, there's a custom expression field "my expression" in the details section (files). In the dialog >Customize view< I selected "Bottom" at >Select location to change<. In the section >Columns to show< I expect to see the fields which are visible in the list view behind. Acutally, this is not the case. My custom column is missing and the columns in the customizing view are not equal to the columns actually shown in the list view.

I hope you can see what I mean...
chris

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:16:31 am »

You are right...
Expression Columns don't show up in Customize View.

... and wrong.
I knew that before this thread existed. It just tried to explain how it currently works.

As I said, MC's tools cannot access Expression Columns because they are not library fields, be it right or wrong. Customize View is one of these tools. When the Expression Column feature was added (it's a relatively new thing) the view configuration system was not redesigned to be able to handle them. Perhaps "Columns to show" should be renamed as "Library fields to show as columns" or something like that to avoid confusion.

Nevertheless, I don't disagree with you. It would be nice if Customize View would show also Expression Columns. Then it would be possible to copy existing Expression Columns to a new view by using the Save/Load View feature.

EDIT

I have a good reason to believe that you are going to like at least one of the new features in the next build.  ;)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gappie

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 06:10:18 am »

i dont see your screenshot. but i now also understand. it appears that the prblem is not there when you have panes at the top. i do see the expressions then. when there are thumbnails at the top, you get some standard list. now add something to that standard list, and the list jumps to what you have in screen.

in the first att you see what you get when opening a view i added an expression to. the second att shows what happend after adding bitdeph to the columns to show.

gab

edit: i actualy posted this in the 119 bug thread on the beta forum a few days ago... should have been clear to me you were talking about the same thing.

there is a small problem with customize view. when you have thumbs at the top, and you choose 'select location to change' > Bottom. the list in 'collumns to show' does not reflect the actually columns in that view, but the 'standard columns'. when adding or deleting one, it jumps to the right list.

Smiley
gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:54:59 am »

Chris' screenshot behaves oddly. Sometimes it shows up and sometimes not.

I resaved it and attached it to this reply. Maybe it works better when it is served by JRiver's monstrous new forum machine.  :)

(Attachments are visable only if you are logged in.)

gappie

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 07:18:04 am »

Chris' screenshot behaves oddly. Sometimes it shows up and sometimes not.

I resaved it and attached it to this reply. Maybe it works better when it is served by JRiver's monstrous new forum machine.  :)

(Attachments are visable only if you are logged in.)

indeed.  :)
thanks alex.
what i thought.

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 11:42:44 am »

In build 13.0.124 and later:
Fixed: The "Customize View..." dialog would not always show the correct columns when customizing the "Bottom" portion of a library view.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:29:46 pm »

Fixed: The "Customize View..." dialog would not always show the correct columns when customizing the "Bottom" portion of a library view.

thanks for fixing it.

gab

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 06:50:38 am »

Thanks Matt, works great now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up