INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM-driver support  (Read 1587 times)

jann

WDM-driver support
« on: July 19, 2002, 01:31:32 pm »

Is it possible to support WDM-drivers to have better latency times with the MME-Output?
These WDM-drivers are supported from professional Audio-software like Steinberg's Wavelab or Cakewalk's Sonar.
If it is not too much work for the developers, I would like to use these drivers with the Media Jukebox in the future.

Jan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:WDM-driver support
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2002, 01:53:04 pm »

Using MJ 8 and DirectX, you should be able to get awesome latencies.  (like .05 seconds)  Move your Options -> Playback -> Advanced -> Performance slider towards more responsive.  Also, try DirectSound instead of WaveOut.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jann

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2002, 03:14:14 pm »

Thank you Matt for your reply!

My professional soundcard supports at the moment under Windows XP only WDM(MME), Asio and GSIF drivers. With Direct-x drivers I get better latency times, but then the sound is a little bit noisy. But this depends only on my soundcard.
If it is too complicated to support WDM-drivers I'll use MME-drivers until I can use Direct-x driver with my soundcard under XP(in a few months).

Jan

jann

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 01:06:18 am »

Is there really no chance for WDM-drivers (up to 10ms latency) in future versions? Is it really too complicated?

Jan

Mike Noe

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 03:11:11 am »

Jan:
I have a similar idea for my RME DIgi96/8 PST.  Right now, I'm using the WaveOut setting choosing the RME as my output device.  How are you measuring latency with MJ and your setup?

jann

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 10:52:44 am »

Hello Mike,

I've the same soundcard (RME Digi 96/8 PST). I've talked to Matthias Carstens in his newsgroup(Owner of RME)and he said to me that WDM drivers allow latency times up to 10ms.
You can try Steinberg's Wavelab 4 or Cakewalk's Sonar Demo-Versions. Both softwares support WDM drivers and latency is really great with RME's WDM-drivers. I didn't measure them, but the latency differences is obviously to normal MME-drivers.
Now we are already two users of the Media Jukebox, that would like to have WDM-drivers support :-).
Is there a chance for them in future versions?

Jan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 11:35:30 am »

We may extend the output types in future versions of MJ.  It'll just depend on the demand.

However, I don't think that ultra-low latencies buy that much in a playback program like MJ.  I think that's more important when you record or edit.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mike Noe

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 02:02:37 pm »

Yeah, I guess that's a good point.  Where do I go to find info on the relationship between playback and the sound card?  For example, how MJ plays to my RME card when I choose WaveOut.  Are there technical details somewhere?  Also, how do you know which "driver" your using (WDM, ASIO, MME, etc.)?

jann

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2002, 02:59:55 pm »

Matt, thank you for considering WDM-driver support!

Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up