INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play Count  (Read 1483 times)

crzypirate

Play Count
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:19:23 pm »

Hey! I'm new to Media Jukebox, but so far it's soooo much better than iTunes! I'm not using it as my main mp3 player yet, and I want to, but my problem is simply that I dont know how to change the play count! Not resetting it, but simply changing the numbers of songs played without having to play it.
Does anyone know how to remedy my problem?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play Count
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »

It looks like that field is locked and clear-only, unfortunately.  That means you can reset it to blank, but you can't change it otherwise.

Why we can't push some "advanced-high-level-stock-field-might-break-stuff-override button" in the Manage Library Fields dialog and then be allowed to change these, I've never been sure.  For now, though, you can't reset the field to allow manual entry.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:22:30 pm »

It should be in the tag.  I think it's called "Number plays".

gappie

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:27:53 pm »

look here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Changing_the_number_of_plays

:)
gab
edit: i use and wrote the first alternative.. have to check how the second one works that was added. looks good also

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:56:02 pm »

It should be in the tag.  I think it's called "Number plays".

Jim, the [Number Plays] tag is set to "Clear Only" edit type (and editing of that field is disabled).

It is really silly that the standard library fields are locked down like they are. Why can't we edit this?  I can see how it can be useful to have things set this way for the novice.  I can also see how you might want to limit editing these fields to people who really know what they are doing, because they are fields you use in other ways, so modifying them could potentially go so far as to cause MC to crash, or eat your files, or who knows what other terrible concequences.

However, there are so many other legitimate circumstances where the ability to unlock them and modify them (if only temporarily), would be quite useful.  For example: this issue here, or the choices available for [Media Sub Type] whole dilemma.

Plus, there is already a "Revert all changes to stock fields" button.  Why can't we have a UAC-like Administer Stock Fields button right next to it, which when pressed pops up an acknowledgment dialog that explains that this might "cook your girlfriend's bras in the microwave", and then if you're intrepid and click the "I'm Sure" button, it unlocks that one Tags' fields for that one session (and allows us to modify them).

look here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Changing_the_number_of_plays

That's a sneaky little hack you've got there, but it really shouldn't be necessary.  I wonder... Have you checked to see if the Tags in the files themselves actually end up modified with the new data, or is it just a hack to get the data into MC's library?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gappie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:51:19 am »

I wonder... Have you checked to see if the Tags in the files themselves actually end up modified with the new data, or is it just a hack to get the data into MC's library?
i just did. yes, when number plays is written to the tags, the changes made with this 'hack' are also written to the tags.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up