INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: convert audio should support more input types  (Read 1483 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
convert audio should support more input types
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:13:52 pm »

The convert audio function is fantastic. I use it all the time to transcode audiobooks to lower bit rates.

I recently came accross some rm and m4a files that played ok in MC but when I tried to convert them to Lame mp3, MC reported that these audio types cannot be converted. I had to use other tools that were no where near as good as MC.

Given that MC could play the files, I am surprised that it was unable to convert them. Can you broaden the file types that MC can convert?

Thanks, Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: convert audio should support more input types
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:17:27 pm »

The convert audio function is fantastic. I use it all the time to transcode audiobooks to lower bit rates.

I recently came accross some rm and m4a files that played ok in MC but when I tried to convert them to Lame mp3, MC reported that these audio types cannot be converted. I had to use other tools that were no where near as good as MC.

Given that MC could play the files, I am surprised that it was unable to convert them. Can you broaden the file types that MC can convert?
You may have been using Real or Quicktime as the engine for playback in MC.  If you switch to DirectShow, it will work.  Try the "Main Index" on the Wiki (link above).

rjm

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:29:46 pm »

You may have been using Real or Quicktime as the engine for playback in MC.  If you switch to DirectShow, it will work.  Try the "Main Index" on the Wiki (link above).

Thanks Jim. I will try this.

In my years on this board I have probably seen hundreds of different questions for which the answer ends up being "switch to DirectShow". May I ask why you do not set DirectShow as the default out of the box?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:10:04 pm »

May I ask why you do not set DirectShow as the default out of the box?
Because providing the filters is a legal gray area.  We're probably going to jail anyway.  I'd just like to collect a little social security first.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »

Hi Rob, I recently had the same issue with burning m4a files - MC was using the quicktime engine, but changing to directshow did fix it up. Certainly give it a go if you haven't already.

rjm

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:06:44 pm »

Because providing the filters is a legal gray area.  We're probably going to jail anyway.  I'd just like to collect a little social security first.

Interesting. I was unaware of this. Thanks Jim.

The wiki info is wonderful. Congrats and thanks to the author.

What did not jump out at me in the wiki was a summary something like "install CCCP and then set the MC default filters to DirectShow for every file type except x and y".

Wondering if one of the gurus out there could provide such a summary for those of us who are not interested in the details and just want everything to play/convert/analyze etc. as well as is possible?

Then a bunch of us will never have to clog up this forum with related problems again...

Hi Rob, I recently had the same issue with burning m4a files - MC was using the quicktime engine, but changing to directshow did fix it up. Certainly give it a go if you haven't already.

thanks darichman
Pages: [1]   Go Up