INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear Playing Now and display theatre view header after S3 resume.  (Read 1693 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen

Is there a way of telling MC13 to clear the Playing Now queue and return to the Theatre View main menu when I wake my HTPC from standby (S3). I've seen the various commands, but I don't know how to trigger them. This needs to cover the case of when MC13 was running (in any view!) when the PC was put into standby, and also if it was not running.

Thanks in advance.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Clear Playing Now and display theatre view header after S3 resume.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:47:15 am »

Picking up messages from a different thread, if MC really is trying to be a full on replacement for VMC/MCE then WAF is a big issue.

Control of "Startup" behaviour (i.e. when you resume from standby) is a big issue in our household. We've got several network players/internet radios. The one that doesn't get used much, even though it's in the best location, is the one that does not clear down it's playing now queue and startup in a nice safe user friendly way. If I had the same issue on the HTPC's then I'm sure they'd get used a lot less.

And yes, there will be other users who want the system to remember where they were, and pickup whatever they were doing, so of course it should be a setting somewhere.

(It may already be an option somewhere, but I just can't find it.....)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:45:25 am »

Is there a way of telling MC13 to clear the Playing Now queue and return to the Theatre View main menu when I wake my HTPC from standby (S3). I've seen the various commands, but I don't know how to trigger them. This needs to cover the case of when MC13 was running (in any view!) when the PC was put into standby, and also if it was not running.

Thanks in advance.
when you get out of standby, you have to log in a new (sorry, i never use standby, but if i remember well that is how it is?)

when you would make a bat file with
mc13.exe /Clear
mc13.exe /Mode Theater

you put the bat in auto start. would that work?
just an idea

:)
gab

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:19:45 am »

No, no log in after standby. (Assuming that you configure it right) the system appears to come straight back up. This is fine if you've been working on a bunch of excels, but an HTPC needs (or should have the option)to behave like a piece of AV kit, and resume in a clean state ready for the wife.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:28:56 am »

No, no log in after standby. (Assuming that you configure it right) the system appears to come straight back up. This is fine if you've been working on a bunch of excels, but an HTPC needs (or should have the option)to behave like a piece of AV kit, and resume in a clean state ready for the wife.
We'll take a look at this, but it's risky to assume that everyone wants the same thing.  Maybe you could provide more details about what happens and why you don't think it's right.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:07:30 pm »

Whilst I'm trying to teach my other half to use the Activities function on our remote, I can see the WAF benefits to having MC opening to Theater View front screen on wake from standby, if only to reduce confusion a little.

One touch hibernate would be more useful though IMO...

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:08:10 am »

....t's risky to assume that everyone wants the same thing. 

My thought exactly. I wouldn't want MC to assume anything about what I want when resuming from S3 (unless it can be overridden). I like to have complete control here as I have different requirements for this depending on what system I'm using.

@stricko - There are ways to achieve the kind of thing you're wanting via vb scripts (for instance). A tonne of discussion on this stuff can be found at thegreenbutton.com but without knowing how "adventurous" you want to get, I'll refrain from getting too deep into it unless you want me to as it can be a bit complicated if you've never scripted before.

Very simply though, assuming you shut down your htpc via remote control, you could assign your standby button to a batch script with the following contents:

Code: [Select]
@echo off
mc13.exe /Clear
mc13.exe /mcc 22001,1
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

This will 1) clear playing now, 2) set MC theater view to the HOME screen and 3) suspend your PC. When you resume your PC, MC should be in the state you want.

Hope this helps.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:12:11 am »

Thanks Jim. Sorry if I have seemed a little evangelical about this. You are absolutely right that not everyone would want this behaviour. Given the way in which you have already made so much of the product switchable (which I love, and is the main reason for me buying it), I'm afraid that I always assume that you would just naturally do it that way.  ;D

So I've just started MC, set up bunch of tracks to play, no problem.

Put the box in standby, as part of switching off the whole AV system. Power it all back on again. MC has remembered exactly where it was in the views, and starts playing just where it left off. Thats probably what a lot of people wnat, and it works fine.

In our house, I'm generally up late listeninng to some noisy 70's krautrock. My wife swiches on MC  in the morning, wanting to put on some Jack Johnson or Alison Krauss. She definitely does not want to hear Can or Faust booming, out, doesn't want to have to clear Playing Now (however easy this might be), and just wants to start at the beginning, and find her own way in.

Very different behaviour patterns. I had XPMCE set up to do exactly this, probably via MCE Stanby Tool, I can't remember.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

RAYM: Just seen your post. Thanks for that. Never tried scripting but it sounds like a way forward if MC don't want to build it in as an option.

Pages: [1]   Go Up