INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Showroom -- 3D for Theater View  (Read 3047 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Showroom -- 3D for Theater View
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:56:14 pm »

We're playing with a new Theater View list style:

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: No build, just a teaser
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »

Pretty, very pretty.

WAF++

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:18:27 pm »

ooo looking good.

If I may make a request? This sort of view would be ideal for browsing simple thumbnails as well as album thumbnails. I can think of two areas where this would be really useful - photos and videos (with posters/DVD covers or whatever you're using for thumbnails).

Can you imagine browsing your movies, each with poster thumbnails, like this? You'd need to find a way around being limited to square thumbnails... but eventually, we could work towards clicking on a movie and having it bring up detailed info like year, director, actors, synopsis etc.

Keep up the good work :)

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:13:59 pm »

Very sexy  ;)
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:41:34 am »

ooo looking good.

If I may make a request? This sort of view would be ideal for browsing simple thumbnails as well as album thumbnails. I can think of two areas where this would be really useful - photos and videos (with posters/DVD covers or whatever you're using for thumbnails).

Can you imagine browsing your movies, each with poster thumbnails, like this? You'd need to find a way around being limited to square thumbnails... but eventually, we could work towards clicking on a movie and having it bring up detailed info like year, director, actors, synopsis etc.

Keep up the good work :)

My Blu-ray clip art is Non-Square and looks good now.
JRiver CEO Elect

gappie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 05:14:11 am »

looks sweet....  :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 05:56:49 am »

Nice
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:51:08 pm »

Just a thought, but some nice specular lighting on the covers would look very good with this angled view  :-* (Probably be nasty on older systems, perhaps we could have a configurable set of options for things like the bottom reflections, and little lighting effects on the photos)

Cheers

-Leezer-

gappie

Re: Showroom -- 3D for Theater View
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 07:50:29 am »

i really like the new 3D. its fun especially with images. been wondering if there would be a way available further up on the road, to change the order, like newest images first. and an other thing is, when you open an image from 3d, and close it again, it jumps back to the start. would be nice if it closes back to where you were.

guess it will make especially the touchscreen people happy....

:)
gab

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:48:41 am »

I think that it will be another gimmick unless you allow us to add multiple categories to the view. Like the 3D wall in standard view.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 10:21:44 am »

I think that it will be another gimmick unless you allow us to add multiple categories to the view. Like the 3D wall in standard view.

Sucky gimmicks (tm).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 05:17:06 pm »

Sucky gimmicks (tm).

Cool, when can we have more of them  ;D

On a more serious note, if you're going seriously into thumbnail views, then please consider something that's been propsed before- Artist images.
Being able to click on an artist via image, & then through to an album would greatly increase the usability of the thumbnail views.

Cheers

-Leezer-

gappie

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 07:36:00 am »

just one small other thought. but it could be nice that when coming in 3d, pressing left would bring you to the tail... or would it be to much a carrousel then?

gab

already played a lot with this new 'gimmick'. thv is the real place for this 3d stuff. thanks...

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 02:50:23 am »

My Blu-ray clip art is Non-Square and looks good now.

Really? How'd you manage that! I've mucked around a bit, but can't seem to get anything but squares in Showroom view...

I'm using posters (height is greater than width) for movie rips and DVDs but they always show up as squares, with the tops and bottoms truncated. Here's a pic:

Click to enlarge.

Once you get the mechanics of this working right, do you think it would it be possible to add a mechanism to configure things like number of rows, thumbnail size etc when you create the view? 2 rows might be sufficient for poster dimensions. Alternatively those with a large display might prefer to have 4 or even 5 rows... Some configurability might be cool :)

I think adding this is a really great move though. It's getting me excited about theatre view, and I used it recently with some friends over. Everyone was quite impressed!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 04:23:04 pm »

I would like to be able to show the "artist - album" caption also when not scrolling. Many album covers do not have legible artist and album titles. (So far I have tested this view only with audio.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 11:02:19 pm »

Suggestions:
1) Make the selected wall item larger and maybe add a glow, change it's color, make it more obvious
2) Show configurable thumbnail text below the selected item
3) Pushing down on the bottom-most item in a column should move to the top item in the next column to the right
4) The Album back track listing needs more options:
  * Album needs Play All, Add All, More (for add shuffled etc...)
  * Each track needs: Play, Add, More (for add shuffled etc...)
  * Maybe they should be icons instead of text?
5) If the cursor is in one of the rollers, the selected wall item should lose it's glow (Many times I've thought I was in the wall, when I was actually in the roller)
6) Add a way to dig-into an item.  Say start with an Album Artist (auto) wall and selecting an Artist shows a wall with only that Artist's Albums.  In other words, make it work like the Thumbnail view.
7) Add a way to see where you're at within the wall
8) Limit the reflection to say 2/3rd of the bottom most row of items.  It just looks wrong the way it is now.

-John

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 09:23:07 pm »

Suggestions:
1) Make the selected wall item larger and maybe add a glow, change it's color, make it more obvious
2) Show configurable thumbnail text below the selected item
3) Pushing down on the bottom-most item in a column should move to the top item in the next column to the right
4) The Album back track listing needs more options:
  * Album needs Play All, Add All, More (for add shuffled etc...)
  * Each track needs: Play, Add, More (for add shuffled etc...)
  * Maybe they should be icons instead of text?
5) If the cursor is in one of the rollers, the selected wall item should lose it's glow (Many times I've thought I was in the wall, when I was actually in the roller)
6) Add a way to dig-into an item.  Say start with an Album Artist (auto) wall and selecting an Artist shows a wall with only that Artist's Albums.  In other words, make it work like the Thumbnail view.
7) Add a way to see where you're at within the wall
8) Limit the reflection to say 2/3rd of the bottom most row of items.  It just looks wrong the way it is now.

-John

I agree with all of this. I will add though, that in this view, scrolling to the edges really shouldn't auto jump to the roller. If you're really cranking through the wall and suddenly hit the end, it's a little jarring to suddenly find yourself in a totall different view.

gappie

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 04:36:37 pm »

I agree with all of this. I will add though, that in this view, scrolling to the edges really shouldn't auto jump to the roller. If you're really cranking through the wall and suddenly hit the end, it's a little jarring to suddenly find yourself in a totall different view.
i agree...

would like to ask also to reverse the sorting of the images. going through 8 years of images before we get to the most recent, which takes several minutes, makes the fun and beauty get old fairly quickly.

gab

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 04:21:47 am »

Yep yep yep.

Also, maybe now is the time to start taking some of Theater View's coolness accross to Standard view. The library views would benefit a lot from the breadcrumb roller, and the animated way of "digging in". The Tree is static and a really horrible way or seeing/changing views. It could be sexed up a bit and given roller type behavior.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 11:27:42 am »

Yep yep yep.

Also, maybe now is the time to start taking some of Theater View's coolness accross to Standard view. The library views would benefit a lot from the breadcrumb roller, and the animated way of "digging in". The Tree is static and a really horrible way or seeing/changing views. It could be sexed up a bit and given roller type behavior.

Personally, I'd leave the current tree and panes well alone. They work just fine as they are, and I can do without funky little bits of animation :)

Back onto the topic at hand, everyone seems to agree that browsing first by artist, and then drilling down to album represents a good idea! In its current state (Standard Theatre View view), this works nicely, but IMHO the image presented is far too random.

Other thoughts-
Currently, the last thumbnail the mouse was over stays enlarged. They should only be enlarged with the mouse over them.
This isn't quite a bug, but something I've noticed with both the 3d wall & showroom- Any reason for starting with thumbnails only on the first 1/3 of the screen? I think it would make more sense for most if not all the screen to be used at the outset.

Cheers

-Leezer-

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 04:29:37 pm »

When an album has more songs than what can be displayed on the "back cover", you can't scroll down to select them. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I couldn't see it.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up