INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions Regarding Compilations  (Read 2390 times)

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
Questions Regarding Compilations
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:36:51 pm »

Hi,

Just like to ask a question regarding compilations. In iTunes, there's a checkbox where you can tick and say that the songs belong to a compilations. Is there something like this in MC? I am asking because all my tracks in the compilations seems to be rated as individual tracks. I can see MC setting it as incomplete album. Is there anything I can do to make MC see those tracks as in a single album?

Cheers,
Derrick
Don't Panic!

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Questions Regarding Compilations
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:45:48 pm »

If you move the files to a single directory, MC should recognise them and change the Album Artist field to Multiple Artists. It will then appear under that section in your views. You can move the files in batch by Right Clicking and selecting Library Functions (I think that's it).

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:46:08 am »

The problem is that it was in the same folder last time. I end up using Media Center to rename/move the files and now they are spread all over the harddisk in /artist/album format. I was hoping that they would be in the assorted folder but end up it is spread all over the harddisk.
Don't Panic!

gappie

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:56:48 am »

you used the rename tool? make sure that the use 'assorted' for artist on multiple artist albums is enabled. and look at how the paths are changed at the rightside of the form before you move them. works also for albums that are 'incomplete'. and what rule you use for the directories?

:)
gab

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:57:38 am »

...end up using Media Center to rename/move the files and now they are spread all over the harddisk in /artist/album format.

(sometimes) it's easier to use the built in tree under Devices to move stuff around "aka drag and drop"..MC will update it's database at the same time..
MT5FR

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39:52 am »

When doing the Rename&Move make sure to use [Album Artist] or [Album Artist (auto)] instead of [Artist] for the directory structure. Also, make sure that your tracks are all numbered correctly, with the first track being 1 (using a numbering scheme like starting with 101 won't work with the Complete Album algorithm).

If you search around the forums a bit for "complete album" you'll find some more useful information about how this tag works. Personally I've added a couple custom fields to work around the inherent limitations in the Complete Album field.

Hope this helps,
JB

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:58:35 am »

[Album Artist (auto)] can be succesfully used in a renaming rule only if all album tracks already have an identical, single value in this field.

If the album files are spread over several folders it is possible to type a value in the [Album Artist] field. The [Album Artist (auto)] field will automatically show this value and can be used for congregating the album files in a single folder.

MC will automatically fill the (multiple artists) value in the [Album Artist (auto)] field and show a "various artists" album as complete when the following conditions are met:

- all album files are in a single folder (that preferably does not contain other audio files)
- the track numbers are consecutive, starting from 1
- the tracks have only one Album value
- if the album consists of several discs the disc number field should be filled correctly (don't include the disc number in the album name if you want to use the built-in album logic). Alternatively all album tracks can be renumbered so that the disc numbers don't exist in the library data.

The separate [Album Artist] field can be used for overriding the automatic value when preferrred. In other words, it is always possible to use a meaningful album artist name instead of the default, "multiple artists" value. Only one manually filled Album Artist value can be used with a single album without breaking the built-in album logic.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up