INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyzing Audio... Cant be aborted without loosing all of the work done.  (Read 7437 times)

i8B

Other issue:  Analyzing Audio.  I have over 18,000 tracks in the library; The analysis phase has been running now for over 5 hours and has processed 2507 files. 

I understand that audio analysis will take a great amount of time and that a large library such as this one will take a considerable amount of time to complete however, if I need to shutdown my computer or the application (*or if there happens to be a power failure or something*) I will loose all the work up till now.  (as I have been told by the warning window that pops up when I try to shutdown the app.

This process should have the ability to work in the background and save it's progress so that it may be picked up again the next time the app is run.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Analyzing Audio... Cant be aborted without loosing all of the work done.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:28:58 pm »

Ah, I just went through a similar problem.  I was syncing my library of almost 15000 files to a virtual device (windows share), and had to cancel after 30+ hours of transcoding/copying.  When I tried to restart the sync process, MC started the process all over again, and started creating new copies of the files (with suffixes such as #1 on each file)!  It made a large mess of the transcoded library, and I had no idea which files still required transcoded.  So I had to restart the entire process.  Ugh.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

)p(

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:18:52 am »

Other issue:  Analyzing Audio.  I have over 18,000 tracks in the library; The analysis phase has been running now for over 5 hours and has processed 2507 files. 

I understand that audio analysis will take a great amount of time and that a large library such as this one will take a considerable amount of time to complete however, if I need to shutdown my computer or the application (*or if there happens to be a power failure or something*) I will loose all the work up till now.  (as I have been told by the warning window that pops up when I try to shutdown the app.

Actually I did close mc while doing the same and when I started again the number of to be analysed was lower by the amount it had analysed before shutdown. i think the warning is a generic one.

peter

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:10:12 pm »

This process should have the ability to work in the background and save it's progress so that it may be picked up again the next time the app is run.

Analysis can be safely stopped at any time.  Progress will be preserved.

If you manually run an analyze, shutdown will warn you because it's trying to help you, not because you'll lose anything by stopping.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up