INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do I install MC13?

I have MJ2008. in order to install MC13 do I have to uninstall MJ2008 first?
- 0 (0%)
Do I leave MJ2008 on my PC during installation of MC13?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: installation of mc13  (Read 900 times)

eko

installation of mc13
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:40:19 am »

THank you for your quick reply.
eko

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: installation of mc13
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:08:08 am »

There is no MJ2008. I think you mean MJ8 (MediaJukebox 8)? If you do:

You can install MC13 without uninstalling MJ8 before. MC13 should find your MJ8 library and import & convert it. To have absolutly no risk, do a library backup in MJ8 before you install MC13. So you allways can go back to MJ8 if something goes wrong without losing anything!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:17:43 am »

I don't think MC13 will convert an MJ8 library.  You might have to install intermediate versions to convert each library.

Better might be to just start over and import the music.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:44:36 am »

Hi and welcome!

I guess you set the poll by accident. It is really not a matter of opinion.

You can do it either way. I'd recommend to keep MJ12 installed (I assume you mean MJ12 by MJ2008) until you have become familiar with MC13 and are ready to switch completely.

If you have done lots of work with your MJ12 library you could create a new library backup file before proceeding (just as a precaution). Store the created backup zip file in a safe place, preferably on a separate disk.  (File > Library > Back Up Library...)

You can use the library restore tool for importing the backup file to MC13 in case MC13 didn't automatically find and import the MJ12 library.

Before unistalling MJ12 you should check the cover art location. The default location is under the application data folder and if you have stored cover art files there the cover art files will be deleted if the unistaller is used with all cleaning options set.

MC13 has a tool that can copy linked cover art to a new location (as set in the file location options) and relink the images automatically.

EDIT

StFeder and JimH posted while I was writing my reply. (I was interrupted before the reply was finished.)

As said, if the old version really is MJ8 the situation is different. However, I think MC13 can read an MJ8 library backup file when it is imported by using the restore tool. (Some time ago the MJ8 library reader was returned to MC -- if it is removed again you can use MC12 as an intermediate version.)

If you have MJ8, please post more details about your setup and explain what you would like to preserve.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up