INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Theater PC  (Read 816 times)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Remote Theater PC
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:38:38 am »

There are frequent remarks here about the challenge of maintaining a MC system that less MC-literate family members and/or visitors can understand and use. I wonder if anyone has taken on or contemplated the ultimate challenge—setting up and maintaining a remote system for the exclusive use of people who are incapable of doing so themselves.

The (hypothetical) situation I'm thinking of is that of an elderly parent, living alone across town or country, who is technophobic and/or in early stage dementia. They are incapable of operating a computer in the usual sense. Why even consider this? They're losing the ability to operate home entertainment equipment too. We're trying to save them from lonely hours sitting in front of equipment they're unable to operate. But maybe they can handle a single consistent interface like the new Theater View—perhaps on a touch screen.

There's lots of interesting technical questions about how such a thing might be implemented, but there's an obvious first question. Does the idea have any merit, or is it a pipe dream? Has anyone done anything like this? Perhaps my assumption about such a person's ability to use Theater View is naive.

Before you answer too quickly, it has occurred to me the system could include the ability to establish a video conferencing connection remotely. Perhaps then I could chat and share a slideshow of family photos with Mom, then ask her what movie she would like to watch before saying goodnight... 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up