INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to deal with 1080 video  (Read 1737 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
How to deal with 1080 video
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:57:36 pm »

So, over the years we have built up a large collection of home videos shot in SD.  Of course processing these to usable, cleaned up videos is easy...just import the video and burn a few dvds for redundancy.  Well, now I'm starting to accumulate some 1080 video from our Canon HD camcorder.  Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with it!  I can't burn a DVD of it.  Blu-ray would be the best choice, probably, but I have no idea how to go about that.  Of course I would have to buy a Blu Ray burner.

What approach do you take when processing HD video?  Burning DVDs worked well because then I could place them in books of discs that archive very well.  Burning raw files to the discs would not be ideal either because they are DV-sized files--the same as SD but just compressed more to hold more detail if I'm not mistaken.  So the files are probably 20GB per hour, which means 15 minutes on a DVD.  Being shot in HD doesn't inherently mean I've got less video so a single event which might take an hour or two, and fit on a single disc, would now take multiple discs and be unreasonable.

Thanks everyone.

)p(

Re: How to deal with 1080 video
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:37:51 pm »

I store hd material on hard drives and with a trayless icy dock I can easily hotswap them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994062

peter

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:54:53 pm »

Thanks for pointing that device out.  Back before I built my large server, I wondered if there was a hot swap type tray like that.  Of course the problem then becomes finding an inexpensive case with lots of bays.  They seem to get exponentially more expensive once you pass 8 bays.  Probably not that much demand for them.

I'm still not sure how to handle the video.  The fact is, with your suggestion--which is probably the only good way--you have to have a computer.  That's fine for me but some of this video would be interesting to others.  They may not be as able to get video from their computer to their TV...a big screen.  Granted computer monitors are often high def once you pass 20" in size.

I had a 15" laptop with 1920x1200 -- the resolution of my 24" monitor now.  I absolutely loved it.  Of course no one except me could read it but I literally had no trouble reading it, even from more than comfortable distances.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:36 pm »

There are now 'desktop' SATA drive docks.  Just run a search on newegg.com for "sata drive dock"

)p(

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 01:04:53 am »

There are now 'desktop' SATA drive docks.  Just run a search on newegg.com for "sata drive dock"

Yes...very handy! I use this one, works perfect:

http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/externe_gehaeuse/sata_quickport_pro/index_en.html

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up