INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Channel Storage  (Read 2653 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
TV Channel Storage
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:01:40 pm »

My home theater PC is configured to use the Library Database on the server and setup to open it read only.  The reason is that I can have multiple HTPCs do this and by a simple MC restart, the new view schemes I create will be copied over.

The problem is that television stores TV channel data in this Library Database, or at least it appears that way.  So, if I scan for channels, as soon as I restart MC, they are lost because I'm using the Library Database in read only mode.

Are there any solutions at the moment?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: TV Channel Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:01 pm »

Television, like other media, is stored in the database.  If you want to make changes, you will need to open the database with write permissions.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:46:02 pm »

Scanning on the server would probably work.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:50:56 pm »

This is a problem for me too, I do the same thing (central database, opened read only).

My problem is that not all my machines can handle HD TV playback, but I can't hide/disable the HD channels on these machines as the channels are stored in the shared database.

Probably not much can be done about it, but I thought I'd just mention it.

Richard

benn600

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 03:07:02 pm »

Scanning on the server would probably work.

Good idea.  Is there a file in the Library Database that is the TV Database?  Could I scan this on my tuner computer and then copy it to the server database?  There is no tuner in my server.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:28 pm »

SOLVED

My solution was to manually add channels to the server database.  This works perfectly and is just what I wanted.  I don't mind entering them manually especially because I only have to enter them once.  I now realize that if it was changed, it would be worse!  I always ask for more and more to be stored in the library database.

Thanks!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:45:05 am »

My solution was to manually add channels to the server database.  This works perfectly and is just what I wanted.  I don't mind entering them manually especially because I only have to enter them once.  I now realize that if it was changed, it would be worse!  I always ask for more and more to be stored in the library database.

Thanks!

I like having the TV channels stored centrally, but it would be great to be able to disable or hide channels on local machines somehow.  Not all my machines can handle HD playback, so the TV is all choppy and horrible if one gets seleced on the wrong machine.

R

benn600

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:58:52 am »

I'm starting to deal with that limitation right now too.  Some of my machines can't quite handle HD.  However, I think it may be an incorrect setting or something in some cases because I have two identical machines where one can play it and the other cannot.  I must admit they have different video cards, though.

I've thought a bit about building an inexpensive system that easily handles HD with some additional power above it and then building several of them.  It would be nice to find a $200 machine that did it all.  With television being a network resource, even having a system that can't play HD bothers me a bit.  I know a new system that handles HD would not be expensive.  I have two HTPC configurations that were designed from the beginning for HTPC.  One was built a few years later...both about the same price.  The newer ones easily play HD while the other doesn't.

The worst part of building new systems would be figuring out what to do with the old machines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up