INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best operating system for MC?  (Read 1276 times)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
Best operating system for MC?
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:36:02 pm »

I am building a new HTPC system to run MC as the primary application and very likely the only application. 

Which is the best operating system?

Linux, XP Pro 32, XP 64 or XP Media Center? 

I refuse to buy Vista.

Thanks for your comments.

Tunetyme

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best operating system for MC?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:24 pm »

my uneducated answer.

Linux?..  did not know there is a linux version of mc
xp pro... works nice under that..
xp 64.. since mc is 32 i doubt it will give you anything extra, except some troubles maybe with other programms/drivers...
xp media center.. well when the media center is mc.. good choice..

:)
gab

oh.. by the way.. mc works also nicely under w7.. so you might wanna try the beta of that for a while...

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
Re: Best operating system for MC?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:43:40 pm »

Gab:

I know that MC doesn't have a Linux version but I was wonder if anyone was running a windows shell under linux. 

As for Windows 7, I have to admit I am getting tired of the bi-annual forced migration policies of Microsoft.  It seems that all kinds of problems surround microsoft products. Linux offers 64 bit processing which if MC was able to take advantage of it would almost double the compression speed and the music analysis.  Finally, I like the price tag.  With open systems "Office" software (free) and operating system cost that is less than $75 I can afford to significantly upgrade my hardware.  In fact I can build my HTPC for what I spend with Microsoft every couple of years.  I think that is a pretty good payback.  I know there will be a learning curve to make the switch but the more I think about it the more I am convinced to set up a machine that runs both operating systems.  I have an extra copy of XP Pro 32 but I was willing to consider XP Pro 64 if MC would take advantage of it.

Tunetyme   
Pages: [1]   Go Up