INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: restructuring drives, don't want to mess up MC library  (Read 1274 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
restructuring drives, don't want to mess up MC library
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:42:19 am »

I am reorganizing files amongst my hard drives.

I used to store my recorded TV shows at a location E:/TV which was an internal drive. I am now moving them to G:/TV which is an external drive.

How can I direct my MC library to point to this new location so I don't lose all those library fields that I painstakingly did (original air dates, season/series/episode titles/etc)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: restructuring drives, don't want to mess up MC library
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:58:24 am »

1st, go to Tools > Auto Import Options, and turn off "Run Auto Import in the background"

Now, make sure you're external drive is connected, then, from within MC, select all the TV shows you moved from E:\TV (MC should be displaying the missing file icon for these files indicating that they are not where MC expects them to be), right click the selected files, choose: "Library Tools > Find and Replace"

Click on the "Select none" button, then find "Filename" in the list on the left and select it.
Put E:\ in the "Find" field
Put G:\ in the "Replace" field
Hit the OK button.

This will reconnect all the files, preserving any associated library data.
Go back into the Auto Import options, turn the background option back on, and while there, ensure that "Fix broken links" is set to protect network files. This will prevent auto import from removing the TV recordings from your library if you ever run MC without the external drive connected.

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:12:22 am »

Move them inside MC if you can.

If not, use Library Tools, Find & Replace to change the drive letter.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:23:07 am »

Move them inside MC if you can.

If not, use Library Tools, Find & Replace to change the drive letter.

But be sure to select Update Database to point to file location (top left of the Rename, Move & Copy Files dialog box). This defaults to Rename (move files if directory changes). I forgot to select that when I did exactly what you are doing, and MC updated the tags for my 20,000 + files. It took forever!
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up