INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO problems with USB soundcard  (Read 2815 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
ASIO problems with USB soundcard
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:56:08 pm »

Hi, I posted about a similar problem awhile ago, but I think this is slightly different, so I'll start a new thread. I'm using a Line6 Toneport UX1 with USB connection with Vista Home premium 32 bit. It works fine with my recording programs, and it also works with foobar2000. When I set the output to ASIO in MJ (12.0.49) 1 song will play fine, but then when I stop playback and try to play something else, I get this error message and then MJ crashes.

Here is the diagnostic window that comes up before it plays:

I don't think it's a problem with the ASIO driver, because it works fine with other programs (including foobar). I have a few albums with 96khz sample rate, and I've been using foobar to listen to those, but I would really like to be able to use MJ all the time... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: ASIO problems with USB soundcard
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:05:09 am »

Have you tried experimenting with different buffer settings?  Worth a shot.
Experiment with different buffer settings in the Line 6 driver (I assume the Line 6 driver has settings for different buffer settings).
Experiment with different buffer settings in MJ (Tools >> Options... >> Playback >> Output mode settings...).

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:29:35 pm »

I just experimented with both of the buffer settings. I put both of them on maximum and still the same thing happened...

Frobozz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:35:53 am »

Try short buffer settings as well, just to see what happens.

What format are the 24-96 files?  What format are the 16-44.1 files?

I tried some 24-96 files (both flac and wma lossless) switching between those and 16-44.1 mp3 files.  No problems.  Looking at my audio driver I could see the audio interface was syncing to the correct sample rate each time.

I'm using an M-Audio FW410 with ASIO.  Media Center 12 (should be the same as Media Jukebox for this).

Are you adding any DSP effects like EQ in Media Jukebox?  Any other kind of audio processing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:14:36 am »

Have you tried the ASIO4ALL driver?  I think there's a link in the wiki (link above).

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »

Frobozz: low buffer rates don't work either, and neither do rates in between.

My 24-96 files are all flac, and the 16-44.1 are a mix of flac, wma (lossy), and mp3.

When i play the 24-96 files in foobar, I see that my interface is syncing to 96khz with no problems, which leads me to think the problem might be with MJ. (Kristal, my recording program, also works fine at 96khz). I'm not using dsp or anything, just volume leveling, and even with that turned off, the same thing happens.

JimH: I've heard of ASIO4ALL, and I think I might have tried it before (don't remember what happened, although if I uninstalled it, chances are it didn't work). Is ASIO4ALL truly ASIO, or is it just a way of simulating ASIO for soundcards that don't support it? In other words, would I be losing any audio fidelity by using ASIO4ALL instead of my native Line 6 drivers? Is it still using the WDM drivers, or is it totally ASIO? I'll try it though, and see if it works.

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:47:14 pm »

OK, I tried ASIO4ALL--it only works with a channel offset of 2, but the sound comes through my laptop speakers, not my usb interface...

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 06:31:56 pm »

In my experience using ASIO (without ASIO4All) the sample rate and bit rate of the file have to match those set in the ASIO driver (have tried with M-Audio Audiophile USB, M-Audio Audiophile 192, E-mu 1212M PCI, and Auzentech X-Meridian). If they don't match, I get the same error you're getting. One option is to resample all files to 24-96; another is to manually change the sample rate / bit depth in the driver.

I'm no expert but this has worked for me.

Frobozz

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:25:16 pm »

I'm using the M-Audio ASIO driver for my FireWire 410.  The sync source in the driver is set to "internal".  The driver and hardware always manage to sync to the correct sample rate without any manual intervention.  It has always manged to "just work". 

I have never tried using ASIO4ALL with the FW410.  I'm not even sure if it would work.  I've always used the M-Audio driver.

I wonder if there could be some audio software application or utility running in the background that is grabbing the ASIO device and keeping Media Jukebox from being able to change the sample rate? 

Are the Windows system sounds configured to go through the Line 6?

I'm at a bit of a loss.  I have no experience with the Line 6 interface and don't know what its particular quirks are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up