INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My tagging, display strategy, and screen shots: suggestions?  (Read 1569 times)

Vectra

• Recent member
My tagging, display strategy, and screen shots: suggestions?
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »

1.  I started browsing my collection by ALBUM ART sorted by ARTIST.   I like the graphics and ability to sequence through the covers by one artists by placing the mouse over one artist cover stack.   I also like jumping to a letter with the A,B,C,etc links at the top.   My concern is that all this art seems to slow down the system.  I have about 300gb of flac files and I'm using my notebook and REMOTE DESKTOP to operate my media PC.   I'm also slower because I have a  USB external drive.

I am sorting by artist last name (Springsteen, Bruce).  I like this format because when I see the artist list I see "S" in Springsteen frist instead of reading Bruce Springsteen and needing to remember that is sorted as "S".   I display the albums in groups with the normal artist tiles (i.e Bruce Sprinsteen).  I can have all my Boss albums under Springsteen, Bruce but display each album as "Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band" and then another as just Bruce Springsteen as appropriate.

I use page up and page down to sequence through screens of album art.

the PANE view seems faster...especially sliding up and down a long list.  I like quickly sorting by genre. I have another sort window by STYLE where I can drill down further on a genre.  I still need to tag all my styles (I use AMG as a general reference).  While I like the album art view I find myself using the screen below more often.

I especially like sorting out my Jazz or Classical from all the Pop/Rock.  Styles are fun when I know I want to hear a specific style like "Jangle Pop" or "Punk". 

2. After selecting an ARTIST I like to see the albums sorted by original release date as shown.

I select album and see the track info below.  I also like seeing the TAG info on the left.  I usually just show the tags with data so I can see more tags on one screen.

3. When playing a compilation or playlist I like to use the NOW PLAYING screen and have the album art displayed as each track is played.  I like the visual association to the song.   I have debated how to tag compilations.  The shot below is really just the ELVIS 50's box set but I have tagged each track with it's original release cover (singles in this case).   This allows me to associate the song with not just the box but what is was from.  I'm more interested to know which songs were SUN singles and which were first available with an album or which were unreleased until the box came out.

4.  I like to read the AMG info.  It seems easier to link to web sites like AMG for album reviews and artist info vs. trying to paste info into tags.   I like the auto link in jriver artist info although I'm not sure if I like it better than simply opening a web browser because in many cases I have to select the artist from a list and with JRiver when I change views I have to reopen the amg display vs. have jriver different than the web window.

5. Track Info

I sometimes like to read the COMMENTS tag or NOTES tags.   I'd like to edit this screen.  Perhaps have album art bigger and center.   COMMENTS and NOTES on one side and LYRICS on right.   Or perhaps art on left and test to the right.   It seems the curren display wastes a lot of screen.  I need to work on this....I'm pretty happy w/o it as I can read the COMMENTS tag by putting mouse over it in other views.

6. Album ratings.  I have created a list of ratings using the Keywords tag.  AMG=5, AMG=4.5, AMG=4, AMG=3, RS=5, RS=4.5, ... Virgin=5...Strong=5...., etc.   It's a fun sort of ALBUMS vs the TRACK ratings I do myself.

wombat66

• World Citizen
Re: My tagging, display strategy, and screen shots: suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:27:14 am »

Vectra rocks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up