INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to make custom search for 'greatest hits' and 'best of'  (Read 1160 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
how to make custom search for 'greatest hits' and 'best of'
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

This is driving me crazy, looked at all the search rules list and still not getting it.

In panes view I have a column for search lists, one I want to make is show all albums where the album names contains 'greatest hits' or 'best of', I can get one to work but not both. I tired or comma, and etc, nothing seems to work.

I am using 'album', > 'contains', > greatest hits,best of.

The other problem is that it is also returning songs containing those words, I just want album names returned.

Any help would be appreciated.

TC  ?

lise

• MC Beta Team
Re: how to make custom search for 'greatest hits' and 'best of'
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:55:27 pm »

You may be encountering a problem I had (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50863.msg347523#msg347523) and reported.

The only way I was able to create a search that had to use "or" was to start from scratch using the wizard, and after you've entered the first term (say, album contains "best of") then enter a new line using Custom and then in the next field type Or, add another line with your next search term and repeat for however many you have. It should work. However, you cannot edit it. If you have to modify something, you will have to re-enter from scratch again.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:21:08 am »

lise, there's something in the search wizard system that makes smartlists created before the wizard system was introduced work, but, if you try to recreate them or modify them, they break, because the wizard cannot translate some raw search string examples.

For instance, a smartlist using the rule [keywords]=sky created before the wizard was born will still work today, but try modifying that search, or recreating it, and as soon as you hit the apply button, the rule is changed to [keywords]=[sky]
The intended search rule, which works just fine in the search bar, should return all files where the keywords field contains 'sky'
The wizard changes it to return only files where the keywords field exactly matches 'sky', which generally means the results are empty.
Apparently, it's difficult to fix, but I live in hope :)

lise and tcman41:
'or' queries should be enclosed in parenthesis, so, to answer the question, the rule to use is: [media type]=audio ([album]="greatest hits" or [album]="best of")
Copy the blue text, open a smartlist for editing, hit the import/export button, paste the text in there, press OK, press OK, Job Done :)

-marko.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:11:23 am »

Thanks Marko, I took your lead and modified it, works prefect, it was the ability to inset parenthesis in the wizard that was throwing me off.

below is my final example:

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:18:41 am »

Ah... I also didn't know that was the way to enter 'or'.  Perhaps the use of Custom Or should be translated into the new method so that when you enter a rule using the old method it respected this rule.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up