INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12 Crashes my LG Dare Cell Phone  (Read 8378 times)

Hank

• Recent member
Media Center 12 Crashes my LG Dare Cell Phone
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:05:21 pm »

Hello,

What a wonderful player! It's just what I wanted for managing my music and downloading to my new LG Dare (VX9700) cell phone.  The final test was connecting it via USB to the phone to download my playlist. Sadly, it crashed the phone -- every time.  When the device shows up, it shows up as an LG Ev 9900 instead of  LG Dare 9700. Microsoft Media player 12 works perfectly, so it's not the phone.  When you have support for my LG Dare, I will definitely buy Medial Center. Are you planning to support the Dare? It has the best music player of any phone I know of other than an iPod.

Thank you for your help,

Hank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 12 Crashes my LG Dare Cell Phone
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:51:36 am »

You have some control over where MC puts files on a device.  Check the options for it.

It's hard to imagine how MC could confuse the phone, but perhaps a file with the same name is used by the phone.

If you can map out where the files go with another player, we could probably help.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:32 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick response.

It's a very simple setup:
- The files go into the my_music directory. 
- There are no controls on the phone to set the path where files will be stored on the phone.
- Microsoft Media player puts songs in that directory fine everytime without a hitch.
- Microsoft Media player also recognizes the phone type properly including model name: "Dare" and number "VX9700"  MC doesn't.
- I don't know that this phone can support adding a playlist... and it's fine me if I could at least get the songs to the my_music directory.
- The phone crashes fully. I have to fully power off the phone to resume.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Regards,

Hank

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:44:21 am »

Did you try changing MC's options for the device?

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 03:51:17 pm »

Hi Jim,

There's a variety of bahavior going on that I don't understand. Many hours are passing as the phone continues to crash along the way.

- I was able to change the phone type to the "LG Dare VX9700" from the "LG EnV VX9900" that appeared.  At some point it allowed me to do that.
- Changed the music path to my_music.
The phone appeared in the MC Devices list as the Dare and included the empty playlist on the phone that part that is part of the built in Rapsody playlist section -- not the "Local"  section. So that was good. At least the phone didn't crash on connection and appeared in your list.

Syncing was another matter. I tried to send a file to the phone  -- nothing happend. The same for sending a playlist.

I don't know MC well enough yet to limit the list of songs so that selecting "Sync" doesn't send all the songs.  When I did that it said that I didn't have enough memory on the phone card which is true and good behavior.

It tried to send a single file once this time it crashed the phone.

But later on, after finding some more time, MC now ignores the Sync set up and the phone comes up as the LG EnV VX9900 again... and immediately crashes the phone.  I can't remember what sequence of events got me to a place where the phone wouldn't crash on connection -- not fun!

I went back to Microsoft Media player, and all went smoothly with songs moving over with one click and no settings changes.

I ask you, what settings should I have?  that would help me a lot! It took hours of trying settings and combinations to get MC to to recognize the phone and connect without crashing. Now that work is gone for some unknown reason. 

Thank you,

Hank

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:07:34 pm »

This sounds like it's an MTP device.  If you're technical and determined, you might be able to figure out the settings you need.

In the MC program directory, you'll find a PDT.XML file (under resources somewhere).  Open it in notepad and have a look.  You may be able to figure out how to add an entry for your phone.  If you get it to work, send us the section you add.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 06:22:01 pm »

I edited that file with Dreamweaver changing all the LG EnV / VX9900 entry to LG Dare / VX9700. There was one other LG entry that didn't seem related.  I also searched all the Media Center files for any VX9900 entry -- there were no others. I removed the LG EnV entry too.  After rebooting and bring up MC again, the phone was still sensed as a LG EnV. It seems like that data comes from the phone, but this doesn't make sense to label a Dare and EnV.

After changing the name of the directories to:  my_music, my_pix, and my_flix, I could get the phone to send a file to the Dare, but it crashed the phone right after the file was transferred. The file did get to the directory though.  "Send to" does not work at all for individual files -- but it may be operator error.

Do you have any other things that I should check?

Thank you,

Hank

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 06:31:25 pm »

You're doing pretty well.  The name in the pdt.xml file must match the name the phone presents to MC.  You can create a new entry in the pdt file.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:00:23 pm »

Here's a bit more. I put a sniffer on the USB connection. The proper name of the phone is "V CAST Mobile Phone - VX9700". Using that name in the XML file causes the phone to be identified properly.

One step forward -- two steps back: the phone tries to sync even though I have the phone setting saying "ask" and the MC sync setting to not sync automatically.  Right after it tries to sync, the phone crashes -- too quickly for me to change the directory settings.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Hank

drosene

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 11:14:46 am »

Hank,
My family and I are long time MC users and we just purchased the LG Dare for our daughter.  Before I get started, were you ever successful with the MC/Dare sync?  I really don't want to even look at the Rhapsody solution Verizon supports.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 10:36:14 am »

Sorry that I didn't notice your post, sadly I gave up. Your inquiry is a good reason to check again; you have renewed my interest. Verizon has updated the phone software many revisions higher and Media Center is one major release newer.  I did look in the new MC system files for the the Dare but there were no changes or support for it... yet.  I don't want to look at Rhapsody either. There seems to be little public discussion Dare's support for ordered playlists generated by something else than Rhapsody.  I'm surprised, it's really a great phone!

All this means that is search and discover time again. I'll post something if I make progress.

Good luck!

- Hank

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 09:19:41 am »

Hank, I spent a couple of hours this past weekend trying to get MC12 to sync with my daughter's Env2, and everytime I connected it with MC12 open, it would restart (crash) the phone. So I installed Verizon's Rhapsody music syncing thingy and that worked fine, so I "wrote it off" as Verizon putting something in their software/phones that's looking for the proper "handshake" between the device and Verizon's software and if it doesn't see it, then it restarts the phone. It may sound far fetched, but it's the only logical idea that I came up with because MC12 has synced everything (minus iPod Nano 4th Gen) that I've ever attached to it, including the BlackBerry Storm.

jimm1909

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:52:47 pm »

I've had this same problem for a while.. I am glad I found this post so I know I am not alone.

Ill keep trying to fix it
Pages: [1]   Go Up