INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording & Pausing Issues  (Read 2719 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Recording & Pausing Issues
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:32 pm »

I'm using HDHomeRun and have some positive and negative reports for the DVR functionality in MC.  I am able to pause TV but upon pausing, there are a few seconds of black screen.  Is this normal and intended?  Can it be reduced?  What if a screenshot of the paused point was thrown up on the screen?

Recording video does not work.  It does not actually write anything to the recordings folder (of any magnitude--it does create files).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recording & Pausing Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:28:00 am »

I'm using HDHomeRun and have some positive and negative reports for the DVR functionality in MC.  I am able to pause TV but upon pausing, there are a few seconds of black screen.  Is this normal and intended? 
No.  Try changing the DirectShow filter you're using for video.  It's in TV options. 

Try changing the renderer.

Do you mean TV recording doesn't work?

benn600

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:35:29 am »

I see Enhanced, 9, 7, and Legacy.  Is this the complete list?  I am using Enhanced.  Which one do you recommend?  Some didn't appear to work but I can see which ones don't work is different in some cases.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:46:44 am »

Okay, I tried them.  7, 9, and Enhanced show video (they work) but still have the 2-4 second pause with a blank screen.  Legacy simply doesn't show any video.  What is the reason for having multiple ones?  I notice the default for TV is 7.  Is this the oldest one based on a version number?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:47 pm »

Okay, I tried them.  7, 9, and Enhanced show video (they work) but still have the 2-4 second pause with a blank screen.  Legacy simply doesn't show any video.  What is the reason for having multiple ones?  I notice the default for TV is 7.  Is this the oldest one based on a version number?
This might help:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

Is your TV device on the same PC?  Describe how it is connected.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:27:54 pm »

I am testing this on two machines with different results.  On my desktop, Renderer 7 works and appears to work better.  On my theater HTPC, anything other than Enhanced will crash.

The tuner is HDHomeRun, which I've been posting a lot about.  It has two ATSC tuners which are then attached to the network.  The software mimics an ATSC type tuner and works very well in Media Center except for a few small issues we are discussing.  The tuners are allocated between machines that ask for a tuner and additional boxes can be added.  I ordered a second unit yesterday so I will have a pool of 4 available tuners for any computer on the network to use.

Right now, my problems are the above mentioned: pausing has a delay and watching 720p content stutters (not 1080i) but in VLC on the same system, it looks perfect.  The forums for the product said if VLC plays it fine then my system is powerful enough (which seems obvious).  I have a feeling that resolving this will resolve the stuttering video too because renderer 7 seems faster and less likely to stutter -- based on what I've seen on my workstation.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 12:52:47 pm »

I am testing this on two machines with different results.  On my desktop, Renderer 7 works and appears to work better.  On my theater HTPC, anything other than Enhanced will crash.

The tuner is HDHomeRun, which I've been posting a lot about.  It has two ATSC tuners which are then attached to the network.  The software mimics an ATSC type tuner and works very well in Media Center except for a few small issues we are discussing.
That's an unusual use, and you're lucky that MC works with it.  The delay is probably related to the fact that the remote tuner is buffering somewhere.  Reducing the buffer might reduce the delay but could affect playback.

You're pretty much on your own with this one.  We can't help much.  But I'm sure that won't stop you.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 01:24:38 pm »

Can't we approach it like any other tuner: something's wrong, email us a log, FIXED!  I don't think there is buffering going on anywhere because there are no settings and if I setup multiple computers playing the same channel, they line up with about 0.1s difference max.  It is almost perfectly matched.

Frankly, I'm surprised more people don't use HDHomeRun.  It turns television into a network resource.  We all know how great MC or a file server is as a network resource so why not TV?  I can live with the black screen upon pause.  What I feel needs fixed is the stuttering that is visible ONLY with 720p video and VLC plays back the tuner stream of 720p fine.  It seems to be something to do with not being able to use Renderer 7.  When I try it, MC crashes or doesn't display anything--on some machines.  My workstation machine is able to use Renderer 7 fine!

So with the same hardware tuner device, Renderer 7 works on one machine and doesn't on another.  Can we solve this?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 09:47:12 am »

Benn,

The default video renderer is VMR9 on XP and Enhanced Video Renderer on Vista.

Which video decoder are you using?

While TV is playing, right-click and choose DirectShow filters/Copy graph info to clipboard, and paste the info here.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:14:26 am »

For your information, here is a thread going at the Silicon Dust forums about the product.  It does support standard BDA drivers so it should work for the most part:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35390#35390

I really thought VMR7 was chosen by default.  In my testing, it seems like VMR7 on my desktop doesn't make the video stutter while the others do.  But when I try it on my theater HTPC, it doesn't show anything (video wise) unless I choose Enhanced.  I had determined Enhanced was the one to use and changed it on every computer...but seeing that VMR7 appears to be the fastest and least likely to skip...well.  Keep in mind that VLC can play the television channels completely and properly without skipping or stuttering so there is something in the software causing problems and the machines are fast enough.  Thanks for helping me Yaobing!

Here is the info you need:
Filter Graph Info (TV graph):

Filter 'MPEG-2 Sections and Tables'
        CLSID: {C666E115-BB62-4027-A113-82D643FE2D99}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Mpeg2Data.ax
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin '5' of filter 'MPEG-2 Demultiplexer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_SECTIONS  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2DATA, Format type FORMAT_None

Filter 'Default DSound Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Out' of filter 'CyberLink Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3_SPDIF, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\WINDOWS\system32\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Out' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'BDA IP Sink'
        CLSID: {17CCA71B-ECD7-11D0-B908-00A0C9223196}
        Host: ksproxy.ax
        Input Pin 'IPv4'
            Connected to pin 'IPv4' of filter 'BDA MPE Filter'
            Major type Unknown GUID Name: {E25F7B8E-CCCC-11D2-8F25-00C04F7971E2}  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {5A9A213C-DB08-11D2-8F32-00C04F7971E2}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {5A9A213C-DB08-11D2-8F32-00C04F7971E2}
        Output Pin 'Output1'

Filter 'BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter'
        CLSID: {FC772AB0-0C7F-11D3-8FF2-00A0C9224CF4}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\PsisRndr.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin '1' of filter 'MPEG-2 Demultiplexer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_SECTIONS  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_ATSC_SI, Format type FORMAT_None

Filter 'CyberLink Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {284DC28A-4A7D-442C-BC2E-D7480556E4D8}
        Host: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\AudioFilter\CLAud.ax
        Input Pin 'Audio In'
            Connected to pin '3' of filter 'MPEG-2 Demultiplexer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Audio Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DSound Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3_SPDIF, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder'
        CLSID: {8ACD52ED-9C2D-4008-9129-DCE955D86065}
        Host: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\VideoFilter\CLVsd.ax
        Input Pin 'Video In'
            Connected to pin '2' of filter 'MPEG-2 Demultiplexer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'SubPicture In'
        Output Pin '~Closed Caption Out'

Filter 'BDA MPE Filter'
        CLSID: {17CCA71B-ECD7-11D0-B908-00A0C9223196}
        Host: ksproxy.ax
        Input Pin 'MPE'
            Connected to pin '4' of filter 'MPEG-2 Demultiplexer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_SECTIONS  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_None, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin 'IPv4'
            Connected to pin 'IPv4' of filter 'BDA IP Sink'
            Major type Unknown GUID Name: {E25F7B8E-CCCC-11D2-8F25-00C04F7971E2}  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {5A9A213C-DB08-11D2-8F32-00C04F7971E2}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {5A9A213C-DB08-11D2-8F32-00C04F7971E2}

Filter 'MPEG-2 Demultiplexer'
        CLSID: {AFB6C280-2C41-11D3-8A60-0000F81E0E4A}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpg2splt.ax
        Input Pin 'MPEG-2 Stream'
            Connected to pin 'Output1' of filter 'Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10165BA9-1'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Stream  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_TRANSPORT, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
        Output Pin '1'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_SECTIONS  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_ATSC_SI, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin '2'
            Connected to pin 'Video In' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin '3'
            Connected to pin 'Audio In' of filter 'CyberLink Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin '4'
            Connected to pin 'MPE' of filter 'BDA MPE Filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_SECTIONS  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_None, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin '5'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'MPEG-2 Sections and Tables'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_SECTIONS  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2DATA, Format type FORMAT_None

Filter 'Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10165BA9-1'
        CLSID: {335188BB-12AC-4C5B-B1BC-3EEF83FB01A3}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_bda_x86.ax
        Input Pin 'Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Antenna Out' of filter 'Network Provider'
            Major type TIME_FORMAT_NONE  Sub type TIME_FORMAT_NONE, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
        Output Pin 'Output1'
            Connected to pin 'MPEG-2 Stream' of filter 'MPEG-2 Demultiplexer'
            Major type TIME_FORMAT_NONE  Sub type TIME_FORMAT_NONE, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE

Filter 'Network Provider'
        CLSID: {0DAD2FDD-5FD7-11D3-8F50-00C04F7971E2}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsDvbNp.ax
        Output Pin 'Antenna Out'
            Connected to pin 'Input0' of filter 'Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10165BA9-1'
            Major type Unknown GUID Name: {71985F41-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_None, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
Pages: [1]   Go Up