INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CNK Files  (Read 4991 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
CNK Files
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:04:05 pm »

What is the purpose of saving time shift television to CNK files?  Couldn't .mpg files be output?  (Mpeg 2)?  Is that what digital TV records in?  It's really a clutter to have tens or hundreds of files for a recording plus no easy way to view the video except through MC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: CNK Files
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:40:46 am »

This is the only way we can do it.  Eventually I hope we will provide a way of converting them.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tofo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:41:46 pm »

What is cnk? An internal way for MC to store a video stream or a recognized video packaging format. Can it be handled by any other software to be converted or played?

benn600

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:23:23 am »

Doesn't the tuner offer an mpeg stream?  What about saving it directly to .mpg files?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:52:08 am »

What is cnk? An internal way for MC to store a video stream or a recognized video packaging format. Can it be handled by any other software to be converted or played?
It's a JRiver format, but it has a DirectShow filter, so you may be able to play them in other players if you fiddle with the DS filters.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:35:18 am »

mpg files do not provide the flexibility required by time-shifting.

jtv is Media Center's TV file extension.  CNK files are data files referenced by jtv files.  Any DirectShow based media player should play jtv files - for example, ZoomPlayer, Media Player Classic, Windows Media Player - on computers where MC has been installed.  DirectShow filters for jtv files are installed with MC installation.

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:05:58 am »

Mmm, long story short: how do you cut the commercials out? From my recollections most editors are not DirectShow apps. Any advice? Since I already tried my usual editing apps and nothing works with .jtv.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:07:53 am »

Mmm, long story short: how do you cut the commercials out? From my recollections most editors are not DirectShow apps. Any advice? Since I already tried my usual editing apps and nothing works with .jtv.

The only editing tool I know that works with jtv is Windows Movies Maker.

I had intended to create a conversion tool to convert jtv to mkv/mpg/dvr-ms, but I hit some snags on this front.

Daydream

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 05:00:05 pm »

Unfortunately I didn't have any luck with Windows Movie Maker either. Windows 7 comes without the said software. Installing the one that's in the Live Essentials or whatever they're called, or the previous 2.6 version (and I stopped there, didn't plan to check all the 5 versions of WMM existing out there) didn't help, no importing. Even it importing would work I suspect this is the kind of one-click-done piece of software that would re-encode everything; both one-click and re-encoding are not what I'm looking for.

Anyways this pretty much left me less than enthusiastic. Recoding can happen in any shape or form. But not being able to take the raw streams and do whatever I like with them brings effectively the same outcome when one is dealing with DRM files, even if that's not the case here. Chances to replace a hardware PVR - slim to none. I'll eagerly await for any news around this issue.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 07:12:36 pm »

Chances to replace a hardware PVR - slim to none.

Can Windows Movie Maker open the files from your hardware PVR?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Daydream

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »

No, but I'm afraid I don't see the connection. I can deal with the files on my PVR (it's a Tivo) with other software. The idea was that I'm trying to move away from Tivo to MC and I'm facing 2 problems: editing what I've recorded (.jvt, .cnk, etc) and dealing with concurrent scheduled recordings as outlined in the HDHomeRun thread.

Daydream

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:09:21 am »

How about the ability to recompose the chunks in one transport stream file and leaving further conversion to the user? Would that be easier to have? Something is done with the chunks as they are right now (padding?), since a straight up files merger operation produced playable files but with lots of errors.

benn600

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:56:22 am »

Maybe they're thinking legality.  Remember that the movie and television companies freak when recorded content is easy to work with.  Think back to all those complaints and law suits that have taken place over the years.  Why are the TiVo recorded files encrypted?  hmmm

Of course I'd like them to be easier to use, no question!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 10:27:51 am »

When I said "Conversion" I meant "multiplexing".  I can not find a good multiplexer to do the job, and I do not have time to create one of our own.

Daydream

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 05:31:12 pm »

Maybe they're thinking legality.  Remember that the movie and television companies freak when recorded content is easy to work with.  Think back to all those complaints and law suits that have taken place over the years.  Why are the TiVo recorded files encrypted?  hmmm

Of course I'd like them to be easier to use, no question!
I was talking about the in-the-clear broadcasts of course. With Tivo the broadcasts on ClearQAM (not premium channels) can be moved over to the PC with very legal means.
I guess I'll keep testing multiplexers then, on the remote chance that I get lucky.

benn600

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 08:55:29 am »

They can?  I did not know that.  Of course we have basically never paid for any television--outside of bargain c-band some years ago.

Daydream

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 02:45:00 pm »

The .tivo files that are recordings of the any ClearQAM channels HD or SD (the local channels whatever else your cable provider broadcasts in the clear) can be copied over to PC with Tivo Desktop (their own app). Playback works as-is with certain players (WMP, KMPlayer). The conversion from .tivo to .mpg (so you stay with one format not 87 :) and later do some lossless editing) is done using the MAK number that the Tivo displays in its settings menus (they just warn you to not give it away :) ).

Now, the DRMed, premium channels can't be moved off the Tivo unless you have a soldering iron, a certain chip (to replace), lots of electrician skills, some linux knowledge to load a different kernel on the device and other stuff like that. That is a whole different story.

However with Tivo you're limited to the amount of space you can record (and expanding it is not so easy as expanding the storage on a PC) plus after the first year you pay fees that amount annually to the equivalent of 2 new MC licenses and some change. Obviously I would have no problem pouring more money into MC (already very fairly priced) and stay with a unified solution than into something else.

Now back to testing more multiplexers :).
Pages: [1]   Go Up