INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem: strange column sorting behaviour  (Read 1526 times)

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem: strange column sorting behaviour
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:41:02 am »

Hello,

while sorting the contents of some old CDs I copied onto an external drive and I imported into the latest (registered) version of MC 13, I noticed, when working with a customised view with the following sort order:
- Artist (a-z)
- Year (a-z)
- Album (a-z)
- Disc # (a-z)
- Track # (a-z)

that the sorting, when there is no filter selected, does not behave as expected; for example, for the artist Led Zeppelin, I find the files from 1969, 1971, 1973, then another one from 1969, then from 1970; instead, if I filter the entries by the artist Led Zeppelin, the files are ordered exactly as expected. How can this be possible? Should I send my log file for examination?

I also have a "feature request": could it be possible to add a "preview" function to the "compile properties using the file name..." (I translated it from Italian), at least for the first few entries or, better, with the both the ability to move between the chosen files and instantly see which ones don't match with the chosen pattern?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Fabrizio Ammollo

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problem: strange column sorting behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:29 am »

Hello,

while sorting the contents of some old CDs I copied onto an external drive and I imported into the latest (registered) version of MC 13, I noticed, when working with a customised view with the following sort order:
- Artist (a-z)
- Year (a-z)
- Album (a-z)
- Disc # (a-z)
- Track # (a-z)

that the sorting, when there is no filter selected, does not behave as expected; for example, for the artist Led Zeppelin, I find the files from 1969, 1971, 1973, then another one from 1969, then from 1970; instead, if I filter the entries by the artist Led Zeppelin, the files are ordered exactly as expected. How can this be possible? Should I send my log file for examination?

That's strange.

If you put the files in a playlist, is it easy to reproduce the behavior in the playlist?

If it is, please send a library backup to matt at jriver dot com with a link to this thread and the name of the playlist I should test with.  Thanks.

I also have a "feature request": could it be possible to add a "preview" function to the "compile properties using the file name..." (I translated it from Italian), at least for the first few entries or, better, with the both the ability to move between the chosen files and instantly see which ones don't match with the chosen pattern?

It's a good idea.  Like the preview window when renaming, moving, etc. files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:34:18 am »

That's strange.

If you put the files in a playlist, is it easy to reproduce the behavior in the playlist?

If it is, please send a library backup to matt at jriver dot com with a link to this thread and the name of the playlist I should test with.  Thanks.

It's a good idea.  Like the preview window when renaming, moving, etc. files.

Hi Matt (I know you are very busy with your newborn child, so this is actually a message to everyone)

as I directly wrote to you via email, the problem seemed not to happen anymore and I thought that it was just a temporary  problem, but today, while modifying just the Year field, which is one of those selected by me to sort the library, it has happened again, and nothing changes even after restarting MC13.

You can see an example screenshot I took at this URL:

http://picasaweb.google.it/f.ammollo/JR13#5318987808467331378

The "Fire" album by "Electric Six" is not correctly sorted, its entries are split into two blocks...

I add that if I choose to filter the library using, for example, the artist name, the entries are shown in the correct order; when I cancel the filter, they are shown again in the wrong way.

Regarding the preview window for "compile properties using the file name", should I open a new topic about it?

Regards,
Fabrizio

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:42:21 am »

Make sure that the Album Artist field for all of the files matches. I've seen that same behavior a few times myself and that's always been the reason. You'll probably have to check it in the actual Tag Action Window.

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:47:18 am »

Make sure that the Album Artist field for all of the files matches. I've seen that same behavior a few times myself and that's always been the reason. You'll probably have to check it in the actual Tag Action Window.

Unfortunately that field is the same for all the files; I selected at the same time one entry from the first block and another from the second one, and the only fields that are not the same seem to be those logically correct (track #, duration, etc) ...

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:01:00 am »

Addition of the last moment: I modified the library by removing an entry before those not correctly sorted, and now they are always shown in the correct order.
Pages: [1]   Go Up