INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: converting MIDI files  (Read 1291 times)

Zinnia

• nothing more to say...
converting MIDI files
« on: April 30, 2003, 09:44:46 pm »

I need to convert MIDI files to something that can be burned onto a CD for use in the classroom. First question: must I convert the MIDI files to wav files, or will mp3 work equally well? Second question: will Media Jukebox do the job?

Thanks for your help,
Zinnia

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: converting MIDI files
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 11:56:17 am »

Hi Zinnia -

WinAmp has a plugin that will output midi files to wave format.  I know that MJ will playback Midi files using a softsynth but with Playback set to Diskwriter you still don''t get a wave file.

It really depends on your home setup as to what the easiest way to "capture" your midi files is going to be.  The problem is that midi files are not sound files, they contain instructions for a synthesizer to playback the song using various midi instruments.  I'm not a muscian and what I know about midi comes from helping my friends with their computers.

A muscian friend of a friend asked me to help him get his music into wave format so he could create audio CDs.  After assessing his computer skills and evaluating a number of sequencer programs I recommended he get an audio CD-RW and record his wave files directly from the line out of his stand-alone synth to the CD-RW.

If I knew more about your setup and the source of your midi files I might be able to give you further advice.

cheers

gvag

Zinnia

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 08:54:12 pm »

Thank you for your reply, it was most helpful.

I have a Roland digital piano. It does have a MIDI line out (or thru, not sure of the terminology) which is supposed to be capable of hooking right into the computer; I have never used it so I'm not even sure what kind of cable I need. I hope it's something I can pick up at Radio Shack tomorrow....

I also have a notebook computer running Windows XP, which I've only had a few weeks so I only have whatever media software came with it, Windows Media Player; I gather WinAmp is something different? Also have a CD burner.

It sounds like I can run the line out of the piano (to what? the computer?) and use the Win Amp plug in to record directly to the CD? Needs to be a CD-RW? Is that because as we record we're continuing to add to existing files? Then, would I need to copy that CD to a CD-R so it will be compatible with the playback equipment in the classroom?

Sorry about all the questions, but I haven't done this before. I don't feel too bad though, because the person who recommended MJ to me has MJ and is a builder and programmer! (Oops!) I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Zinnia

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 12:37:46 am »

Hi Zinnia -

The chap I helped had a Yamaha synth which he used for gigs, so in addition to the usual Midi In and Midi out jacks he a stereo Line out which he used with his PA system.

Does your Roland have standard L & R Line Out jacks?  These are different from the possible Midi connections that you might have, namely: In, Out, and Thru.

The easiest solution is if your Roland piano has audio Line Out.  If it has then this is what you do.

1.  (Assuming that your piano has standard RCA connectors) get a Y-patch cable from radio shack, it will have 2 RCA leads that tie into a mini (1/8") stereo jack.

2.  Connect the mini jack to the Line In on your sound card.

3.  Start MJ and select Tools/Record Sound/Options.  Make sure the proper Recording Device and Recording Source are selected then click Auto and follow the instruction to set your recording level.

4.  After setting the record level you have to decide about the other settings in the dialog.  My friend's synth has a floppy disk drive and he can playback as many tracks as he wants but he can also set the gap between tracks.  
If you have a similar setup and can playback multiple files then Enable "Automatic track splitting" and Enable  "Trim silence from gaps".  Just make sure the "Minimum gap between tracks" is less than the gap that your piano is using.  If your piano uses a 2 sec. gap then use 1800 as your setting.

5.  Don't Enable "Wait for sound..."

6.  Now select the "File Naming and Location" tab at the left and set your Output location to the folder of your choice.

7.  Click OK and fill in the Artist/Album info.

8.  Now click "Record" and start playback of your Midi files.

9.  When you're finished import the wave files into MJ, use the Properties dialog to name your tracks and add any additional info you might want and click save.

10.  Select the files, Tools/Write/Options set the gap between tracks and your write speed.  Don't use 1x for writting, I recommend you use 2X or 4X (I've read a number of articles that advise against using higher write speeds and I'm a wimp) - after all you've been thru to create your music and get it onto the computer why risk a bad burn?

If you have any more questions, post them and I'll try to help.

cheers

gvag

Some links you may find helpful:
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/
http://www.verysimple.com/midi/index.html
http://www.midi-classics.com/whatmidi.htm

Zinnia

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 08:01:14 am »

Thanks for the great MIDI sites!

Well, let's back up a little: am I making this more difficult than it needs to be?

My first thought was MIDI because normally what I do is record onto the onboard floppy disk, which is MIDI format. However, my colleague is not able to play the floppy disk in her classroom.

I have also made cassette tapes by patching from the piano's L/R into my stereo. That is an option this time as well, although I thought a CD would be better.

Would it be possible, and simpler, to totally bypass the MIDI issue by recording from the piano directly into the computer?

In addition to the MIDI jacks and stereo jacks, my piano also has a dedicated "computer" jack which I'm not sure how to use. It has a switch for the following options: MIDI, PC1, PC2, MAC. Don't have a cable for it, not sure where it would hook into the PC.

I welcome your suggestions. Time is short and I need to keep it simple.

Thanks,
Zinnia

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 12:00:02 pm »

Hi Zinnia -

If you want your Midi files on CD just follow the instructions in my last post.  All you need to do is determine/set the playback gap on your piano and set your Recording options accordingly.

CAVEAT:  If you record your Midi files as wave files to your harddrive you are using your soundcard's analog to digital converter to create the wave file.  The quality of the onboard converters A/D and D/A varies greatly from card to card.  On my system I started out with a Creative Live card and was not happy with the result so I upgraded to an Audiophile 2496 and have been very pleased with the rips from my vinyl collection.

I suggest you burn a CD and make a cassette and compare the results to the original files and go from there.  If you have a good quality cassette recorder you may find that it produces better sound.  In the case of a cassette recording your doing a straight analog/analog transfer there is no coversion process to worry about.

In the case of creating a CD you are converting your files twice.  A/D when you record to your harddrive and D/A when you play the CD.  I can't stress enough the importance of your soundcard's A/D converter in this process, it is critical.  As I said try the CD burn and compare the reults to your piano when you listen to it thru your stereo system.

Re your computer connection.  I suspect it is a USB port and you would use that along with a sequencer to control your piano from your computer and edit your Midi files.  But now you're into the area of Digital Audio Work stations and I really can't give you any help with that.  If you want an in depth look at computers, music, and Midi go here http://www.tweakheadz.com/index.html.

If you have and further questions, especially re my rambling instruction, just ask.

take care and good luck

George Vagenas
gvag@shaw.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up