INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasts won't sync until a day later  (Read 1230 times)

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
Podcasts won't sync until a day later
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:54:59 am »

This annoying little quirk has been going on for a while, and I've just spent an hour trying to fix it, with no luck.

I subscribe to a handful of podcasts, and once a week or so I check for new shows I want and download them. So far so good.

I have a couple of (default, I think) smartlists: Podcasts by Date and Recent Podcasts. Both of these lists immediately show the newly downloaded podcasts at the top of the playlists. Still right on.

Both of these playlists are marked to sync to my iPod (80GB Classic), but if I try to sync immediately after downloading, the podcast episodes I've just downloaded won't get transferred. I haven't really nailed down the window of impotence, but eventually they will sync. Just not right after downloading them, even though they show on the sync playlists

Tonight I've been messing with this, and noticed that in the device window the new podcasts are there but listed as "duplicates" and not "transfer". I've played around with deselecting one or the other smartlist from syncing, or syncing the entire contents of one or more podcasts, and after 5 syncs tonight I still can't get these new ones on my ipod.

I know that tomorrow I'll be able to do it without any hassle. Any one else seen this or have any idea why this is happening to me?

Media Center 13.0.132 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Intel Core 2 2401 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1279 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  Lyrics Editor (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Podcasts won't sync until a day later
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:58:40 am »

I wonder if there is a date problem somewhere.  Check your system date and the date in the podcasts.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:19:49 am »

I quite frequently see podcast downloads fail after I manually request the download. I am pretty sure the problem is with the podcast website because the solution that always works is to wait a while and try again.

Now what may be causing you some confusion is that a failed podcast download is still imported into the MC library. And if you try to to sync it (or play it) it will of course fail because it has not yet downloaded.

A quick way to tell if a podcast is a failed download is to inspect the file name (by hovering over it or a bunch of other ways). If the file name looks like a URL instead of a hard drive file then you know it has failed.

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:24:09 am »

I quite frequently see podcast downloads fail after I manually request the download. I am pretty sure the problem is with the podcast website because the solution that always works is to wait a while and try again.

Now what may be causing you some confusion is that a failed podcast download is still imported into the MC library. And if you try to to sync it (or play it) it will of course fail because it has not yet downloaded.

A quick way to tell if a podcast is a failed download is to inspect the file name (by hovering over it or a bunch of other ways). If the file name looks like a URL instead of a hard drive file then you know it has failed.

Interesting. there are no signs that the initial file download failed, but that's a possibility.

Right after I posted this, just past midnight my time, I got the new files to sync. I don't know if the date change is what triggers it, or just that a full hour had passed? But there's some kind of time window involved.

Pages: [1]   Go Up