INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Itunes folder removed = Lost everything  (Read 2915 times)

jetsetter883

• Recent member
Itunes folder removed = Lost everything
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:51:38 am »

MC12 has been working excellent for me and my 6th gen ipod classic (120 gb) for the past several months. though upon plugging in my Ipod today i received the 'itunes compatibility warning' stating that another program (?) is writing data to my device in a newer format, and that i should upgrade or something along those lines. now i've periodically seen this message before but just ignored it since i don't have itunes installed on my computer. everything is typically fine whenever i ignore this seemingly arbitrary warning message.

until today.

upon receiving the message and ignoring it as usual (since i want nothing to do with itunes), i proceeded to add a few songs. though after ejecting my ipod i was shocked to see NO cover art for any of the albums aside from the two i just added. now I've spent months meticulously updating all the cover art and now this. so i tried upgrading to MC13 only to have the same exact issue. though it appears as if the cover art database on the ipod still contains data (as it is around 102 MB in size). upon further investigating the ipod's files i noticed a very small iTunes folder which I figured should be deleted (why would i want that on there anyway?) i then unplugged my ipod and... nothing!! no music, no art, no videos. nothing. as heartwrenching as it is to see the dreaded 'No Music' message on my ipod, it appears that everything is still there in one form or another when i look at it through Windows Explorer (at least judging by the gigabytes of data being shown as present).

so, please, tell me what can I do? how does a previously ignored itunes compatibility warning suddenly render my cover art non-existent and then eventually all of my music in a matter of minutes?

can i possibly do something along the lines of placing the Artwork and Music folders still viewable on my ipod in a certain folder on my computer to associate them with Media Center? i prefer MC12 but i'll gladly upgrade to 13 if i have to.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Itunes compatibility warning = Lost everything
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:01:52 am »

I believe that the itunes folder is where the database is stored.  It's required for the iPod to find any files.

Plug your iPod in again and let MC see it.  Your content is probably still there.

jetsetter883

• Recent member
Re: Itunes folder removed = Lost everything
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:18:51 pm »

When i plug the ipod in it just says that there is no database and asks me if i would like to initialize my ipod in order to create one. which sort of scares me as at least i can still see the data on the ipod as of now since all of the songs are there when i view the 'F01, F02.. etc' folders through Windows Explorer.

i wonder.. is it possible to backup the 'F01..' folders to a secure location then, after initializing my ipod, place them back in the Ipod's music folder? might MC recognize these files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up